NC Angler Forums banner

Wading rivers.

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  jimsnores 
#1 ·
I travel the back roads between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro going between job sites for work. Some of the rivers and creeks I cross look like you could wade fish there and I am kind of getting a hankering to give it a shot. I have never fished that way. Do people fish that way in places such as the Haw, Deep, or Rocky river? Most of the places I see look to be in rocky stretches with deeper pools. Most of the bridges seem to have pull off areas for access.

#6 ·
I already know you're smart and I believe you're careful. Wisdom here^. Use a stick to test the depth of each next step. And the answer to your main question is yes. It's remarkable the fish that will inhabit pools in rivers. The river is opposite the lake environment...but you already understand the bass, so just relating what you know to the river environment is your next step. The river brings food and oxygen to the fish, so the fish don't have to move around to find those basics like on a lake. Learning how to capitalize on that is a concept I have not learned yet; I am aware of it, but not at all a master of it. Pools are a great place to start casting.

PM Fish_Fiend about the Deep. Others know the Haw and Rocky better, I suspect.

For presentations think small, light, and stealthy. Often more than one fish in a given spot. You're the type of angler that will figure it out. Fish on!

Reactions: finstalker
#8 ·
I've done a lot of wading in my time. I've fished in KY, OH, VA, WVa, NY, and NC. Because of the geology in this area these are some of the most difficult wading waters I have experienced. The bottom is very irregular, jagged, and slick. I highly recommend felt sole wading boots and a staff wouldn't hurt. Try to wade upstream if possible, it makes for safer footing (IMO) and you don't dirty up the water ahead. Think small if you want lots of action, but don't be afraid to throw "normal" sized tackle. As you have seen posted on this forum there are some big bass in these streams. It's lots of fun and a great way to stay cool in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.