The Fish That Broke the Spell! - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

The Fish That Broke the Spell!

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 02-28-2014 at 08:31 AM (593 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by broncotwisterjim View Post
From 2010-2012, I caught more bass at Belews on a 1/2 oz. Red Eye Shad lipless crankbait than ALL other lures combined! As a matter of fact, it's arguably the most phenomenal single bass lure I've used. I have fished it every way you could ever imagine fishing a lipless, and probably a few you wouldn't imagine and I've caught fish with all of them. In that 3 year span, I probably wore the paint off 2 dozen of these lures. Then came 2013........

I have tried, with every ounce of fishing knowledge that I possess, to understand what changed. But, I have nothing! All I can tell you is from the fall of 2012, transitioning through the winter and into the spring of 2013, that bite STOPPED. I mean STOPPED! I have been so fortunate to have continued to catch more than my share on a wide variety of baits and presentations during all seasons and in a multitude of conditions. But, I have not been able to dispense with the desire to solve the Red Eye mystery. From early 2013 til now, not 1 Belews bass came to my boat by way of the Red Eye shad, and it was NOT for lack of trying.........

It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you the fish that changed it all: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belews Ditch Bass.jpg 
Views:	1191 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	59283

And wow, did he do it in style! I was fishing an area with good current flow, casting upcurrent and letting the lure work in the current back to me with a steady crank. This fish hit the Red Eye from behind, running it down and inhaling it. I have long loved the sensation of having a bass "stop a crankbait in it's tracks". This is the typical crankbait bite. I detected this bite when this bass knocked slack in my line, knocking the lure toward me when he crushed it from behind! I was cranking like a mad man trying to catch up with him, charging the boat with his new Red Eye prize! It seemed like he wanted to show me what he had done to my lure and I couldn't wait to see! Awesome!

So, I still have no clue as to why this lure seemingly lost it's appeal on this fish population. But, I'm now okay with that. If this fish's reaction to seeing ol' Red Eye is any indication of the 2014 bite on this lure, I can't wait to see the rest of the story unfold of how the bass are again seeing Red at Belews!

BTJ
Categories
Freshwater Fishing

Comments

Great story and thanks for sharing!
    Glad for you, I hate it when the bite stops cold on a go-to lure. Mine was the 71/2 inch red shad Strike King 3X curly tail.

Looking forward to pics of more Red-Eye victims

Darrell