Falls Lake Fat Girl 3-21 - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Falls Lake Fat Girl 3-21

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 03-24-2014 at 10:21 AM (593 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by moneal78 View Post
Took a day off on Friday to clear some cobwebs from my brain and lament the Pack's loss in the NCAAT. I soon forgot all about that when I pulled a chartreuse/white spinner past a log on a main lake point and WHAM! My rod tip bent over, I saw a flash of a tail and then my drag started to scream as this big bass pulled the 8lb mono off of my reel.

This was my second time out to Falls in the last two weeks and while it is still a little cold, the fish are starting to move. I don't have any electronics on my boat so I'm not entirely sure of the depth, but I was fishing points that seemed to extend out or had some sort of feature such as rocks or a fallen tree (this one had both) and did okay with a couple of decent fish here and there and this old girl which I felt was worthy of a getting my buddy to take a photo.

I also got to practice casting my new 8wt fly rod which will hopefully get to feel the pull of a puppy drum in a month or so.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10003145_10152106606803073_1343137648_n.jpg‎ 
Views:	939 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	60029  
Categories
Freshwater Fishing

Comments

Wow, nice fish. You must be a true sportsman, tossing a blade with spinning gear and 8 pound test. Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by meenyt
    Wow, nice fish. You must be a true sportsman, tossing a blade with spinning gear and 8 pound test. Great job!

Ha. No, in my haste to get out of the house, I forgot my baitcaster with the #14 spooled on it. Fortunately I have a few smaller, 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits in my box. I was certain that at some point in the day that lure was just going to keep flying when I cast it, but it held on all day.

Tried a few different colors but char/white was the only one that got hit. Silver blades. Fished at a medium retrieve. Water clarity was not great from the recent rain, but good enough to see the lure somewhere around 3-5.

Also tried some crankbaits of various colors and depths, but we didn't get any action with them so we decided to stick with the safety pins.