Tragedy turned blessing... - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

Jeffonc

Tragedy turned blessing...

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 03-27-2014 at 08:15 PM (971 Views)

Quote Originally Posted by NCStateFisher View Post
Headed down to a public lake I fish from time to time just to get outside. With the low temps last night I wasn't expecting much but wanted to get a line in the water. Started working my favorite point with the tried and true black&blue chatterbait. About 30 minutes in I'm talking to my buddy and a 2-3lber grabs the bait at the bank, spits it and takes off. I laugh that one off no big deal. About 5 casts later a big ol' 6-7lb toad hits and I get her all the way up to the bank. Well, there's an undercut on this bank and the fish goes head first in to the hole. As I'm kneeling to lip the fish it backs up and now there is a plastic bag on the front half of my chatterbait filling with water as the fish backs up. As the fish flips and turns the pressure from the bag pulling against the hook caused it to come out of the fishes mouth. I stood there like an idiot for a good 5 minutes, thinking about how if somebody had just taken the 5 seconds to throw their trash away I'd be holding a real nice fish right now. To add insult to injury a few casts later I snag and break off my last black and blue chatter. I go to tie on my last chartreuse chatter thinking to myself maybe I should have just stayed home. I work the area for a while but realize the ruckus from the big girl would have scared anything else off and headed to the next opening. Got a nice fiesty 2lber on the last cast at that point and it gave me a confidence boost. I head down to the next area, make a few casts, and on the 5th or 6th cast I got the hardest hit I have ever witnessed from a bass. It honestly felt like a grouper had slammed it. The fight was on, a few huge swirls and I had the fish to the bank. This thing was ready to explode. 24.75" and as fat as I've ever seen a fish. 9lb 4oz on the scale, the adrenaline rush was amazing and that was the first time I've got that excited about a bass in a long time. This was the 2nd biggest bass that I've caught behind my 10lber from the end of 2012. Two lessons from today: 1) don't get too discouraged when you lose a fish early in a day and 2) something we all should know, pick up your trash when fishing!!
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bondbeast(1).jpg‎ 
Views:	231 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	60128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bondbeast(3).jpg‎ 
Views:	252 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	60129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bondbeast(4).jpg‎ 
Views:	253 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	60130  
Categories
Freshwater Fishing

Comments

nice fish and cool story
    Quote Originally Posted by catmaster
    nice fish and cool story
    Very nice bass. I hope you turned her loose, to fight again.
    THAT'S AWWSOME MAN, CONGRATS ON THAT BIG PIG. GOD BLESSED YOU WITH A GREAT CATCH & A NICE DAY ON THE WATER. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR STORY & THE PICS. LIFE IS GOOD...!!!
    What a pig! Great story. I'm glad your persistence paid off!
    Very good job! Chatterbaits again! I will throw that black blue monster Sunday!
    **** of a fish bro!
    Nice catch.