Fishing with a Possum! - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Fishing with a Possum!

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Awarded by , 04-22-2014 at 09:23 AM (802 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by broncotwisterjim View Post
Saturday, I had an opportunity to have fellow NCAngler & Captains' Club member, Possum, on the boat for a few hours. We hit a local favorite spot and battled wind, rain and cool conditions for the afternoon. Water temp was 59-61 and it was pretty stained from recent rains. We were targeting bass in 15' or less with a variety of plastics, cranks and jerks.

I've read many reports this spring indicating how "weird" the fishing seems to be. I guess I would say this trip fit that description pretty well. The couple of reports I received from folks at the ramp were nothing short of terrible, up to and including, "No one has caught anything all week!" You just gotta love hearing that when you're about to launch, huh?!

Well, we started out anyway and tried what "should" be producing in the places likely to produce. Nada! With about three hours to fish, our first two went by without a bite. Halfway through the final hour, I decided to hit a bank that I hadn't fished in a while. It didn't differ greatly from the area we had just covered, but it was convenient and time was running short, so I figured why not. On the first cast, Dustin (Possum) landed a crank right by a nice laydown. With one crank of the reel, a nice bass shot out from the wood and nailed it. Possum brought it boatside and we welcomed it aboard.

Next cast, my turn with a Shakey head trick worm in the same area.......BAM! I pulled the shakey head over a limb and this bass hit it like it was his last meal!

Both of these guys were 3.5-4lb class fish and put up a nice battle. It was a nice reward for 2.5 hours of fishing hard in some nasty wind. Not sure what the takeaway was today really, but we were mighty happy to catch these two. These came off of a blowdown on a bank with the wind ripping down it in about 18FOW.

BTJ
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Possum's Bass.jpg‎ 
Views:	1467 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	61033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41914 bass.jpg‎ 
Views:	172 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	61034  
Categories
Freshwater Fishing

Comments

Congratulations on another Blog Award.

Darrell
    Thanks, Darrell! It's always an honor! This is one fine outfit! Possum & I have been chasing trout lately and it was nice to get him out for a few bass.

Jim