Kerr Lake stripers from the 'yak - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Kerr Lake stripers from the 'yak

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 01-18-2016 at 09:55 AM (436 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by BugSlinger View Post
Fished for about 4 hours Saturday afternoon, had one on early that felt like a catfish (shook hook and I lost him) and then had a pull-down that I missed a couple hours later. Sonar showed massive-sized schools of what must have been crappies or white perch on the bottom in numerous areas. Finally found a small school of stripers late in the afternoon and boated three before I had to leave to get home. One at 23.5", one at 19.5" (that was shaped more like a hybrid?), and one at 22.5".

The 22.5" and the 19.5" were a double hookup, quite the challenge from a kayak. Both rods slammed down at the same time and drags started screaming. I loosened the drag on the smaller of my two setups, an Abu Revo Inshore, and let that fish run. Picked up my larger setup, an Abu 6500 spooled with 17lb Sufix and horsed that fish (the 19.5 incher) in quickly...tossed him under my foot, grabbed the Revo and started working on what would turn out to be the 22.5 incher. He apparently was determined to make a run clear to the other side of the lake and had taken quite a lot of line while I was working the other fish, but I got it back. Netted him and brought him into the kayak. Now I've got two angry stripers flailing around at my feet, complete with hooks, 3/4 oz sinkers, my net, and a coughed up baitfish flying around. Was it a mess? You bet. Was it a heck of a lot of fun? Yep! I managed to get things under control for some pictures and let 'em both go.

I was south of Satterwhite, and the water was still pretty stained, but fishable. Not much debris floating as was reported last week, so things were looking better. Water temps 45-46, air temps 52-55.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	76298 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	striper1.jpg 
Views:	889 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	76296 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	76297 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	striper2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	76299 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	striper3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	76300
Categories
Kayak Fishing , ‎ Freshwater Fishing

Comments