Pamlico Suprise - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Pamlico Suprise

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 05-04-2016 at 01:21 PM (590 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by ReelPrime View Post
Headed down east on the pamlico this past weekend in search of some speckled trout and some red fish. Dusted off the the old popping cork and tied on a good ole gulp shrimp and went to work. We caught around 25 trout with 2 keepers around 16" and 17". The majority of the trout were right under the 14" mark and looked very healthy.The cork definitely out fished all the other lures. Caught 6 small stripers on topwater and a small flounder on the jig. The action was steady all morning. After lunch we made a long run to an area that produced redfish in the past. We worked the bank for an hour and a half with no bites. My arm was aching from slinging that cork and I was just about to call it when my cork goes under and my rod doubles over and the drag starts screaming. The sound of the drag was music to my ears as the fight ensued. My first thought was a big ray as the initial bite happened in about 2 ft of water and we had spotted some earlier in the shallows. But this fish was swimming wayyyyyyyy too fast. After about 5 good strong runs, I begin gaining line and the fish shows its face. A BULL DRUM!!!! Thoughts of my small 1/4 oz jig or my light tackle begin to creep into my head and the thought of losing the fish. We danced for about 15 mins, before I swam the fish beside the boat and grabbed its mouth with both hands and hoisted it into the boat. The drum was around 42" and was a stud. I took some quick photos and released the drum to fight another day. I was in shock after the catch, almost in disbelief to see this drum. We have caught inshore bull red in mid june and early july, but the bite usually doesnt take off til Aug and Sep. I know that usually this time of the year kicks off the bite around the inlets but to see this fish this far inshore at the end of Apr was a big suprise!!! It could be the start of an epic summer!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160430_143553.jpg‎ 
Views:	1853 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	94593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160430_143537.jpg‎ 
Views:	116 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	94601  
Categories
Inshore Fishing

Comments