South Topsail Flounder - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

South Topsail Flounder

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 07-05-2016 at 07:50 AM (996 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by Meakle View Post
Thanks to Swampin' and Basswrangler for the info on Lea Island and South topsail in earlier reply to my request, much appreciated!

I enjoyed a week on South end of Topsail, stayed sound side on Banks channel and fished mostly from a dock and a few Kayak trips into the marsh. Managed to catch 9 Flounder with 4 keepers. Kayak trips were the best, what a great way to fish!

Best times were last hours before high tide, Flounder were caught just off Banks channel in small coves and I'd guess 4 to 6 feet of water. I tried further into marsh but had no luck, returned closer to the channel and started catching again. Anything resembling a minnow 3" on jig head seemed to work best, Gulp caught a lot of lizard fish, DOA baits seemed to avoid that and definitely lasted longer. I did try the surf a bit and one day on the pier, my Daughter and I both caught fish but nothing worth mentioning. The surf had some nice cuts and bowls here and there, but no major trough on the far south end like past years. Only other thing I'll mention is that I slowed down, both on the pop-pop-pop retrieve and I waited a little extra before setting the hook. That may be my inexperience, but I thought it worked better than past years...

Great trip and great fishing, thanks to all who share reports and advice on here, really helpful!
Categories
Surf/Pier Fishing

Comments

Woohoo glad to see you made the front page!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by basswrangler
    Woohoo glad to see you made the front page!!!
    thanks much for the info before the trip and good word after. It was a lot of fun to be on the front page, enjoyed showing family and friends!