Grouper fishing out of Topsail Inlet in December - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Grouper fishing out of Topsail Inlet in December

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 12-20-2007 at 06:34 PM (1284 Views)

I had the pleasure yesterday to fish with Topsail Angler, Mike Becker, out of his home waters in Hampstead. A good friend from my church, Richard Dennis, and I left my house around 4:45AM and trailered my 21' center console to Mike's home in Hampstead. We had the boat in the water and were heading toward the inlet by 7:30.

It was a gorgeous ride to the inlet just after sunrise and the water was like glass.

We headed out of the inlet and toward our first stop. You can see how smoot the ride was. A large pod of dolphins were playing just offshore.

We headed out about 15 miles and found some active bottom. Richard and I were bottom fishing with dead baits (squid and sardines) while Mike starting working his new Shimano Butterfly rig. In addition to some very nice Black Sea Bass, Mike picked up this Octopus on the Shimano.

What an interesting creature.

Here are some photos of Mike and Richard fishing and enjoying the day.

We fished the first spot for a couple hours then headed to our second stop, another 9 miles out. Man the bottom was alive there and I immediately hooked up with two nice Black Sea Bass. A few minutes later I had my first Gag Grouper on the line. Unfortunately he was 23", just short of legal limit so back he went.

About five minutes later I had a 26" Gag at the boat though.
That fish was amazing. We put him in the box and a few minutes later when we looked in he had Black Sea Bass about halfway eaten.

We finished the day with Black Bass (some over 18 inches long), Pinkies, one Gag grouper, white grunts (Porgies) and a nice flounder caught on a Bucktail jig.

I want to thank my good friend Topsail Angler for a great day enjoying God's creation.

It was a dandy as you can see in this sunset shot headed back to the inlet.

Categories
Inshore Fishing

Comments

Randy - I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was great to see you tugging on those groupers! You definitely had the hot hand yesterday!

Here's a couple of shots from my camera.