8-30-16 - Topsail Old Drum - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

8-30-16 - Topsail Old Drum

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 08-31-2016 at 07:26 AM (479 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
Well, since I've been seeing those little yellow butter flies I knew that the fish are starting to get into some fall fishing. Finger mullet have been running down the beach the last week or so and a low pressure system is off shore. So I headed out to the end of Seaview pier to do some King Fishing but I grabbed a Drum Rod put out one of the biggest live finger mullet that I had and casted 50~60 yards off the SW corner of the pier. I got my king rig in the water and started to BS with the guys after about 30 minutes my drum rod started dumping so I grabbed it and turned up some drag. The fish turned and started bull dogging so I knew it was a big Drum. Using a 7' Med light action rod with 20 pound line I worked that drum towards the net but the did not want to be by the net and it made a couple of runs away from the pier and trying to go back down. After those runs we got him in the net. Revived him in the bank tank for a bit an let him go to play another day. So this is my first Cititation Red Drum of the 2016 fall season. I guess I'll be putting out a drum rig for the next few days as another Topical Storm passes by us. I'm looking forward to be releasing a few more old Drum as we get into the fall run. Good luck to all those fishing!

(Photo: Tim Chavez with a 44 inch Red Drum that bit a live finger mullet fished on the bottom)
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14125743_1872883189457960_891263720581241749_o.jpg 
Views:	1239 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	111113
Categories
Surf/Pier Fishing

Comments