Afternoon with my youngest son and sporkd2 - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

wademaster

Afternoon with my youngest son and sporkd2

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 03-30-2017 at 09:53 AM (455 Views)

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
This one's for you Greenmonster!

Went out to Jordan Lake this past Saturday with my youngest son and sporkd2 to do a little fishing and run ShawnB's boat and truck to keep it in running order while he's away. Our primary objective was to release as many minnows as possible one at a time while trying to avoid catching copious amounts of crappie. Mission accomplished! Our second goal was to get rid of some chunked shad in order to feed the catfish, done, and done. And lastly, I really wanted to catch a plastic jug half filled with mud. If you guessed we accomplished all of our objectives, you are correct!

We started in the afternoon to avoid the morning rush, allow my son to sleep in a bit, and with the hopes that the bite would turn on in the afternoon for crappie, and perhaps we'd get close enough to sunset to catch a catfish the size of my 9 year old. So much for hoping. We did manage to avoid a terribly busy ramp, hooray for small victories.

We caught three small white perch, a keeper crappie (he was delicious), one smallish LMB, and two tremendously fat, egg-filled crappie which were released to spawn. One white perch on blade bait, the other two on minnows, the bass hit my jig above the minnow, and all the crappie were caught on minnows. As I mentioned, our goal was not to catch the crappie, but to release minnows so other than those 3, we successfully released many minnows, with only slight injuries to their lips. There were a few casualties in the bucket however, and my son was more than happy to get them out, and proceeded to play with them on the deck. Anybody else's kids do this?

And now the moment I know you've all been waiting for, the rare and elusive trophy plastic jug half-filled with mud. It, like all the crappie, took the minnow rather than the jig I had above it. It put up an epic fight complete with screaming drag and severely bent rod. I finally landed it, she was very well hooked, and it looked like she'd been caught before and some heathen cut a hole in her. Would have taken a picture, but my phone was stuck in my pocket, some loose threads wrapped around it and well it just didn't want to come out of there.

Over all I had a great time on the lake with my son, who I'm fairly certain must have set a record for "snacks eaten in a single outing", and a fellow Red X angler. Ok, here are some pictures.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My boy fishing with me 25mar17.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	135714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My boy and me with lmb 25mar17.jpg 
Views:	1505 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	135722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Egg filled crappie 25mar17.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	135730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beautiful sunset 25mar17.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	135738
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Awesome post, one of my favorites ever. High five to the moderators for giving you the award.

I especially liked this sentence:

"Over all I had a great time on the lake with my son, who I'm fairly certain must have set a record for "snacks eaten in a single outing", and a fellow Red X angler."

Just for a sec I thought your son ate the Red-X angler--and that would have been impressive.