Dawg Days Bassin From the Kayak - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

Jeffonc

Dawg Days Bassin From the Kayak

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 08-10-2008 at 10:18 PM (1934 Views)
A good guide and a good photographer are invaluable tools in any angler's arsenal. GanzAndere (Joel) showed me around Cane Creek Reservoir on Aug 9, 2008 and got some really good pics of my battle with this 6.75lb largemouth. Thought I'd try to string them together here.

See page 2 for the play-by-play... [click for page 2]

Hooked up and drag is screaming!

Burried the rod tip in the water as the fish came to the surface - fish didn't seem to care. Came up several more times trying to lose me.

Back down for more drag.

Another Jump

She saw the boat and wasn't ready to visit - took some more drag.

One last bit of acrobatics as I'm reaching for the lip.

Safely in hand!

Admiring the catch.

Posing for the magazine cover.

Removing the hook. The small shakey head was skin hooked in the roof of the mouth. This is one of the dangers of little hooks and big fish, but it held well.

Checking out my self-photos.

Uh Oh - not good. Glad GanzAndere was along - his photos were much better!

Back to my regular sized fish.

Gear rundown:
Rod & Reel: 7' Gander Mtn Guide Series M action rod, Silstar Vertex lightweight spinning reel (from Castaway Fishing Supply's clearance table last winter - $14 and well worth it), 4/14 Fusion braid.
Lure: 5" Yamamoto Cut-Tail worm in Junebug. 3/16 Spot Remover jig head (post-style).
Attractant: Mega Strike gel - I'm becoming a believer.
Hat & Shirt: NCangler.com!
Kayak: Heritage Redfish (from GetOutdoors)
Sunscreen: Banana Boat 30spf (gotta get some DriGrip!)
Camera: Fujifilm FinePix F30 6.3 MP (GanzAndere's - takes great photos!)

Here's the slideshow link in our photo gallery - hit it, select your slide delay and enjoy the stop-action version: https://www.ncangler.com/photopost/sl...php?photo=4006

Thanks for reading!
Categories
Kayak Fishing , ‎ Freshwater Fishing

Comments

Very nice!
    Nice hook up Jeff!
    10-4 nIce work on a great bass....

<*)))))>{
    Nice Job...and I guess the banana superstition doesn't apply to yaks . Now you got me wondering if I should worry about 'em in the canoe?
    Great show Jeff!
    Nice catch ad pics !
    NIIIIIIce. Would like to try that gel. That`s part of what I liked about the carolina lunker sauce. Sort of a gooey gel and pen type applicator. Don`t like the fact that it keeps (somehow) leaking out. Now everything I carry in my waterproof bag, small lureboxes,headlight, wallet, camera, all of it is crawfish flavored and ready to attract bass. : (
    Quote Originally Posted by stukayakfish
    NIIIIIIce. Would like to try that gel. That`s part of what I liked about the carolina lunker sauce. Sort of a gooey gel and pen type applicator. Don`t like the fact that it keeps (somehow) leaking out. Now everything I carry in my waterproof bag, small lureboxes,headlight, wallet, camera, all of it is crawfish flavored and ready to attract bass. : (
    I had the tip break off on my lunker sauce gel pen. And I didn't like the plastic-y smell it left behind. I don't get a whole lot of smell out of the MegaStrike, so I don't mind slathering it on with my fingers, and it seems to have worked pretty well for me at Brandt and Cane Creek.
    Awesome!! I bet you aren't still worried about the $11. I sure as heck would pay that much for a fight like that!
    Awesome!! I"ve been told by outhers,the gell works very good.
    Diggin the play by play...great pics and nice fish!!!
    Thanks Keith - I added GanzAndere's camera info to the last frame in the show. Its a Fujifilm FinePix F30 6.3 MP. It takes much better pictures than my cheapo fisherman's special... gotta give some credit to Joel too - these were great pics and I'm thankful he had the sense and ability to snap them!