Kastmaster Reds in the surf 10-22-17 - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Kastmaster Reds in the surf 10-22-17

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 10-29-2017 at 08:36 AM (403 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by Bart Gelesh View Post
A tad late but I wanted to share. Finally made a trip out to a local uninhabited barrier island here in southern NC. My brother was down for a visit and we were up for some adventuring. We loaded the kayaks and hit the surf at sunrise. My brother was soaking bait and I was slinging a gold 1oz kastmaster on my trout rod. Never been much of a metal guy but having heard lots of good things I figured it was worth a go. Caught a bunch of small blues close to where we were set up and decided to take a long walk. After some serious walking and casting I found a nice deep hole right against the beach and bam! FISH ON! After a quick battle I had a slot red flopping on the sand. A few more casts and I had another. I was super pumped as this was the first time I'd had success with reds of any size on an open sand beach. I decided to run back and grab my brother and see if I couldn't put him on one. We got back to the spot and after a few casts, BAM! He was hooked up but as fate would have it, Mr. Red spit his Hopkin's and that was that. I got 1 more red and after that, they seemed to have split with the last of the ebbing tide. I switched to gulp and got a few flounder. The water was so clear you could see the flatties come up and grab the jig. Between that and watching the hooked up drum run back and forth in the clear blue green...man, life sure can be awesome. My bro will be back this weekend and I sincerely hope there is a big drum out there with his name on it.

Thanks for reading,

Bart Gelesh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bart gelesh red.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	165681 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bart gelseh flounder.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	165689
Categories
Surf/Pier Fishing

Comments