Wounded Warrior fishing day & blackfin citation - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Wounded Warrior fishing day & blackfin citation

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 10-30-2017 at 08:51 AM (585 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Our Onslow Bay chapter of CCA has hosted wounded warrior fishing days for the last five years. This past Saturday we hosted about 40 Vets from Project Healing Waters in Raleigh/Cary along with about 15 active duty guys from the Marine Special Operations Command. Fishing was generally pretty good and the weather was almost perfect. Those who stayed inside caught some nice trout, reds and flounder. Those who went outside caught a lot of king mackerel & false albies. One boat targeted big sharks behind the trawlers. We had about 35 fantastic volunteers who provided boats, labor and food. The fishing day concluded with a great whole hog cookout beside the ICW at the Waterway Inn in Cedar Point. The big highlight for me was that my fisherman landed a citation blackfin tuna on my boat.

Meet Kenny, a 30 year career U.S. Army paratrooper who retired as a SgtMaj from Bragg a few years ago. He caught this 23 lb blackfin just 12 miles off the beach while trolling for king macks. We thought it was a big king at first, then maybe an AJ. (One of our boats reported C&R of a 40" cobia). I couldn't believe it when that fish finally came up after a long fight. Kenny's first tuna and the first one on my boat, at least since I've owned it. Perfect end to a great day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWFD_BLFT.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	165785
Categories
Offshore Fishing

Comments

Good job, fellas. Nice blackfin, Sgt Major!