WNC Trout Fishing is Hot! - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

WNC Trout Fishing is Hot!

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 02-13-2009 at 11:56 PM (1182 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by bassasaurus rex
Greetings to all. I welcome you all to my new blog here at NCangler. As some of you know the fly fishing has been great this winter with some outstanding Delayed Harvest fishing, and all the Catch and Release streams fishing well due to water levels slowly getting better.

Wild streams are still a bit slow on the bite, but should be warming up soon for some incredible dry fly action. Get your caddis and cahill patterns ready for some floatant!

I hope to try and keep reports of myself and the friends I have met through NCangler, and other anglers local and abroad.

I am one of those fly fishermen who try to save a buck when I can, and you might just see me at your local Micheal's art supply buying feather's and pink pom pom's, but I assure you they are for tying flies. My point is, any time I have some advice I'll try and post it in the blogs.....SO this weeks blog tip is....

Don't be afraid to shop for fly tying supplies in places other than the fly shop. I buy all of my egg pom pom's for micro egg's, and a great majority of my feather stock from craft stores. I learned this from being drug into one of these shops by my girlfriend. I suppose she thought it was a weird when I wanted to stay longer, and buy more than she did.

And the fishing tip for the week would have to be...Do you think you have enough weight? During the winter fish are slow on the bite. They hang on the bottom, and try not to move very far to eat, so they can save more energy. By fishing small flies with MORE than enough weight use precise casts to entice the most finicky trout.

My featured picture this week is of NCangler's very own SlickRockTom with a serious Cherokee Rainbow Trout. Stop by the Fresh Water Fly Fishing Forum for my latest WILD FISH TALE.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Welcome to the NCangler.com Blog Captain ranks Rex. We appreciate your taking on the task of keeping us informed on fly-fishing in western NC and we look forward to your blog entries!
    Nice looking bow. I love the Mts. and flinging a few flies around. Looks like you can teach me a thing or two. I've fish from Helton down the the Smokies, and even over to Abrams in Tenn. Nothing better to me. Congrats on the catches and I am glad to see you have a blog. I will visit for sure. Thank you.
    Thanks for doing the blog, you are off to a great start!
    MOVED HERE FROM W.Va. WHERE DO I FIND TROUT LOCATIONS AND CABINS OR PLACES TO STAY.
    LIVE IN ARCHDALE,NC
    I HAVE A FLY ROD HAVE NOT MASTERED IT YET LOL
    THANKS
    JIM WHITLATCH
    [email protected]>com
    Nice Fish ..... I did well in cherokee a few weeks ago using a 2 inch crankbait
    Jim,
    I'm out on the road working now until Sunday. When I return I'll help you find the right spot.
    Get ready for some killer trouting here in NC
    Nice fish, I received a fly-rod as a christmas gift (lower end) model but after viewing your catch- I look forward to learning how to fly fish.
    What's up nice fish hit me up we can fly fish try charbal ant things are hot