Cape Lookout Adventure Weekend - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Cape Lookout Adventure Weekend

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 05-25-2018 at 06:57 AM (309 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by RiverRunner View Post
This past weekend was the much anticipated spring trip to Cape Lookout. We usually go to the island in the fall and stay in the cabins, however this year we decided to try a spring beach camping trip. We met family and friends in Davis and caught the 4 pm ferry to the island.

We drove down the beach and set up camp looking forward to a great weekend.

Later that evening we decided to try some shark fishing and discovered that the surf was very rough. Heavy surf and currents would swing 8 oz. lead to shore in a matter of minutes. Fishing at dawn the next morning was no better, so we began the search for more fishable water. We finally found some reprieve on the south end of the island and got the skunk off.

We started sunday fishing at the south point on a rising tide. Nothing was biting and we were waiting for the tide to begin falling so that we could squeeze past some pinch points along the south end beach. Finally we found a great trough and a huge pothole divided by a sandbar. Time to get serious.

First rod was bending over before the second rod was baited. We landed several bluefish while the bite was hot and as it cooled I began jigging for flounder. I got my first keeper flounder from that pothole.

After the bite stopped , we headed for the jetty and my brother-in-law caught a couple more bluefish. Headed back to camp before rising tide trapped us on the south side. We had a hard earned dinner of fried flounder, grilled bluefish, and french fries. We packed up monday, caught the noon ferry off the island, and headed back to the mountains. Back to work on tuesday with a smile on my face. There is nothing quite like island time!
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180518_160714.jpg‎ 
Views:	325 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	189418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG951543.jpg‎ 
Views:	158 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	189426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG951505.jpg‎ 
Views:	152 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	189434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG951531.jpg‎ 
Views:	161 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	189442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG951575.jpg‎ 
Views:	162 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	189450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG951581.jpg‎ 
Views:	2011 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	189458  
Categories
Surf/Pier Fishing

Comments