Smith River & Blueline 19 & 20 Apr 09 - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

Smith River & Blueline 19 & 20 Apr 09

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 04-21-2009 at 10:07 PM (1073 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by al k

The folks at Philpott Dam have been dealing with an excessive amount of water which has flooded out the access roads to some of their campgrounds. An effort to reduce this high level has resulted in a unusual amount of generation, which in turn has closed the river to safe wading and fishing. I talked with them last week and they are hopeful they will have the water under control by the end of this week. Of course that optimistic prediction depends on what Mother Nature throws our way during the coming week.

I took advantage in the lull generation on Sunday and fished the lower river around Koehlor. It was not long before a very nice Brown came to hand.

It was followed by it's almost identical twin. I was pleased to see both had fat belly's which indicated they had been feeding well on the forage fish which live in this section of the river.

I had two other LDR's and a couple of other hits and misses but that was it. Still not a bad way to wedge in some time between generation flows.

On Monday, a fellow SRTU member and I decided that if the COE would not accommodate us with a normal generation schedule we would expand our horizons and hit a unnamed Blueline where we hoped to catch a few Brook Trout and stream spawned Rainbows. The walk in was half the fun.

The stream was a little high and swift for good fishing - Not to fear, we had driven over an hour so we were going to give it a try anyway.

We split up and my partner who, did not have a camera, says he caught about a dozen. He was fishing with a short, small stream rod which he cast very well, so I expect we will have to accept his word. I handicapped myself by dabbling with a long rod instead of casting. This technique has worked in the past but it was not that effective today. I did manage a few fish. Here is the first one.

You have to love the colors on this small Brookie.

We got out of there just ahead of a fierce thunderstorm. This area flows downhill toward the headwaters of the Smith River so my guess is that the water level of Philpott Lake remains an area of concern for the near future. As always, if you are going to fish the Smith, call 276-629-2432 before heading out.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alsblueline.jpg‎ 
Views:	12812 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	12416  
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thanks for the report Al. I have missed your writing and great photographs! We are blessed to have you as an NCangler Blog Captain.
    Love that brookie. Also the small stream fishing - that's a beautiful spot!
    Great report Al!
    I love those brookies. They seem to have some nice size to them. One great report.
    Great looking fish, Al! Thanks for the report.
    That is very cool. Sounds like a lot of fun.