NC Angler catches a WHOLE fish - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

Topsail Angler

NC Angler catches a WHOLE fish

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 06-13-2009 at 06:04 PM (1487 Views)

I had the pleasure of fishing with Randy (NC Angler) today. Last time we fished together for kings and dolphin, we had a bunch of sharks that enjoyed a free meal at our expense. This time we managed to avoid feeding the carnivores of the deep and Randy was able to catch some whole fish!

We left out of New Topsail Inlet this morning around 7:30 and had our first fish of the day in the box, a king mackerel, before 9:00. We lost a couple of more then I boated a nice 14 pound dolphin. We caught a shark and then the reels went quiet for a while.

Finally we heard that sweet music from the clicker on the reel and this time Randy boated an 18 pound bull dolphin! Then as we were redeploying the lines, I got a strike as I was putting a bait out. It turned out to be the largest king of the day going just over 12 pounds! We were liking this pattern, king, dolphin, king, dolphin, etc.

We ended up with 4 kings and a pair of nice dolphins. Not a bad day at all and no half-a-fish! I lost one of Randy's kings (would have been #5) at the gaff - knocked the hook right out of his mouth, first time I ever done that......duh.

See more pictures on page 2.

Comments

I saw Mike's twitter yesterday and knew my little homepage catfish's days were numbered. He got his 15 mins of fame, so no complaints there.

We had Mahi tonight too... $15 for 8oz (shipped to a Wake Forest restaurant, cooked and delivered to the table with sides). It was good, but yours look like more fun and a better deal!
    I sure am glad to get rid of that 'half a fish' moniker! It was a beautiful day. I am thankful for Mike's fellowship, friendship and to the Lord for blessing us with a good day on the water. I've got five bags of Mahi Mahi in the freezer and one out for grilling tonight. As Jerry Clower used to say, "Ain't God good!"

Time to use a new avatar.
    Congrats to you both. I know you had a great time enjoying the blessings of the day both in fish and fellowship. I'm looking forward to doing battle with a large Mahi very soon.
    Beautiful catch guys. Man, you brought back some memories with ol' Jerry Clower.
    Sounds like a lot of fun and a good day. Thanks for sharing.
    Great day on the water. Thanks for the report and pics guys.
    Looking forward to week of fishing 6/19 to 6/26..any suggestions on where to find pogies near south end of Topsail...any good numbers to start fishing for kings and dolpin?
    There were pogies in Old Point creek and behind Topsail Island in banks channel.

We fished AR362 (locally called the "first set of box cars). N34 15.717' W77 30.450'