September Old Red Drum near Oriental - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

NCangler

September Old Red Drum near Oriental

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 09-08-2010 at 08:37 AM (1921 Views)

Topsail Angler and I had the opportunity to do some Old Red Drum fishing near Oriental, NC yesterday. We setup about 3PM and fished till 8. Between 6-7PM we had three nice fish at the boat.

Mike caught the first (38") and I hooked up with the next two (both around 40-42" we estimate. Unfortunately my first ran right for the boat when he was still green and then did a power move to the front of the boat and our anchor line. You can guess what happened next.

My second one was a legitimate catch though, but as Mike was lifting her to the boat she too made a power move and slipped right from his hands. Both were nice fish and if you've never caught one, they are a lot of fun to fight. Most of all though they are such beautiful fish to bring up to the boat.

It was a beautiful day on the water and God was good to us to share these fish for a few minutes. We look forward to another day on the water today and hopefully I'll have a photo to share before the day is out.

Comments

WTG guys! Thanks for the report and pic.
    Great catches..
    Going to give it a try Friday afternoon/evening. Not sure what I am doing, but I am looking forwatd to it.
    Wow! Nice fish! I talked to Topsail Angler to get some tips before making a trip down to Wrightsville last week. Are you guys finding the reds more inshore in shallow water or deeper in the inlets and outside the breakers? Heading down to Carolina Beach this weekend and would love to run across a couple of those!
    That is one healthy lookin fish. Thanks for post!