Double Barrel fishing report SEP 3rd out of MHC - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

Topsail Angler

Double Barrel fishing report SEP 3rd out of MHC

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Awarded by , 09-04-2011 at 11:41 AM (1459 Views)
Quote Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I was delighted to have Rod, Rob, Cathy and Misty with me today as we headed out for some deep water trolling action. Smooth sailing on the way out - for those going out watch for the hurricane trash line about 2 miles shy of the 14 buoy. I saw two large pillars floating that would probably do some serious damage if hit.
Quote Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

We started trolling around the 90' drop - pushed out to the Big Rock and turned south to the Rise. Early on we had the shotgun line pull off - ended up being a brave bonita out in 200' water (don't usually catch them in the deep). Misty got to pull that one in with a little help from Rob.

We had a few bite-offs and then the downrigger started going crazy....and I mean the whole thing. We were in about 550' of water so I knew it wasn't hitting bottom. Ended up being a big wahoo that was caught on the 10 pound weight. Talk about crankin' in a fish!

We finally hit a good school of mahi, 4 lines go off, we hooked 3. These fellas were well rehearsed and had all our lines tangled. One broke off at the boat but we slung the other two in.

The wind started to pick up out of the North, made for some steep waves so we headed in. Rod and Cathy were celebrating their anniversary and I think the 2 mahi knew that given their affection in the photo!
Tags: big rock, mahi, wahoo
Categories
Offshore Fishing

Comments