Double Barrel fishing report SEP 29th! - Post Awards - NCangler.com
View RSS Feed

Topsail Angler

Double Barrel fishing report SEP 29th!

Rate this Entry
Awarded by , 09-30-2011 at 07:12 AM (1469 Views)

Quote Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I decided to head out with only one other person today...my good friend Jake joined me for a day of wahoo hunting out of MHC. We pushed out around 0530, very dark (no moon) and fairly rough for my boat. We got to see a nice display of lightening from all the thunderstorms just offshore - made for some zig zag navigation. We pushed around most of them, but got caught by a few smaller ones with lots of wind and rain...it was already rough out, in front of those squalls was sporty!

Decided to do some 'high speed' trolling for wahoo (15 -18kts). Hooked up on one, but after a short screaming pull, the 80lb line broke! 22lbs of drag - i'm going to try and simplify my setup next time and see what happens.

After the slug-fest getting out to the Rise, the action started. As I was checking the downrigger, a wahoo came flying out of the water about 4' high, missed my transom bait but came back and hammered my short rigger. 42lb wahoo 30 min later with Jake driving and me clearing lines and fighting fish on light tackle.

The bite was on! We even had double hookups of wahoo. Talk about a challenge - thank goodness the autopilot held most of the time in those rough seas! Caught our limit (2 per person) in about 2 hours, was wishing we had more people on board. We rolled in (had to watch the broaching all the way home). Rough day on the water, but seemed perfectly fine when fish were stripping line!

Tags: offshore, wahoo
Categories
Offshore Fishing

Comments

Nice work guys! Great looking fish and its good to see anglers wearing pfd's.