NC Angler Forums banner

Fish ID

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  cmckearney 
#1 ·
Was fishing a creek in downtown Winston and managed to catch this little guy. He hit a little crappie jig in a deeper pool. I thought it was a smallmouth which would be pretty crazy considering where I caught it. What do y’all think?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
It was definitely an unusual catch. I know there are plenty of spotted bass in there, I’ve caught them from the same exact spot. Those eyes and lack of body markings threw me off. I’m not familiar with the red eye bass so I’ll have to look into that one.

#10 ·
for sure not a redeye bass or rock bass. could be a spot or a hybrid of a spot/largemouth. there are spots in salem creek.

edit...after further observation it does look kinda like a smallie. there are smallie in yadkin above winston and i know a few have been caught down at Idols dam.

Reactions: sped66
#17 ·
because it isnt.....I have caught redeyes and I have caught smallies and largemougth with redeyes.

The Closest Populations of redeyes are in the Horspasture River 170 plus miles and The Saluda in SC 180 plus miles.......I will post a pic of what redeyes from those 2 rivers look like.....they look similiar to the redeyes from alabama and other places but are different, (There are several subspecies of redeyes) The "redeyes" from the Saluda and Horsepasture have been designated as there own species now and are called "Bartrams Bass"

Go post that Pic of the fish in this post on SOUTHERN RIVER FISHING on facebook and they will tell you that isnt a redeye or a rock bass. Seminole steve a Biologist from Auburn will tell what it is and isnt. Most of the guys on SRF live is Redeye territory and know a redeye .

This is what a Redeye(Bartrams Bass) looks like from the populations that are 170 plus miles away.
you will note that the pic of a redeye you posted has blue hues on the edges of fins and mouth head area. The picture in this post that were are talking about has none of these blue hues.
***I could not find the pic so i will have to post a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQf8VGhPdw go to 2:39 to see what they look like.

This is a largemouth with redeyes that came from the Haw River . Red eyes do not mean it is a redeye bass. Lots of smallie and spots have red eyes as well.

Reactions: Festus Amungus
#19 ·
Last one is definatly a Largemougth. Only species of bass in the Haw is the Largemouth.

also, I went on and posted the fish in the first post in the article in Southern River Fishing on FB . 15~ responses and mosy say smallie with a few saying spot/smallie hybrid.

The one that matters is from Steve Sammons who is probably the most well known and respected biologist in the SouthEast as he has researched spots, shoalies, redeyes, and smallies and their hybridization in the Southeast more than anyone.

I have fished with him before in Georgia and very spot we caught went into the frying pan or killed. The spots are ruining every smallie , shoalie, redeye water they invade.

#21 ·
My first glance was smallmouth but given the location it seemed highlu unlikely but with all this crazy rain I just told myself that it washed that little guy all the way to downtown Winston 😂 I think it’s a spotted hybrid of some sort. The red eye bass looks similar but is even less likely based solely on location.

#25 ·
Reactions: jerry condrey
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.