NC Angler Forums banner

Dr H fishes NYC waters

RED X 
7K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  GreyGhost 
#1 ·
I had to go see my aging Uncle in New York this week. I managed a day of fishing with the popular Cousin David. The water supply for New York City stretches 150 miles upstate. It was built in the early 1900's and the entire system is gravity fed. A series of huge reservoirs (NYC uses 1.5 Billion Gallons a day) are connected by small streams that are fed by the water at the bottom of the reservoirs via dams. What you get is pristine cold water that is in the high fifties even during summer. These streams flow about 2 miles and dump into the next reservoir in line. Starting in mid September a few wild browns from the reservoir will come up these artificial only streams. The streams hold typical small browns year round. My 84 year old Uncle loves trout and I am the only semi accomplished fisherman in the family. The pressure was on. After meeting a couple of fisherman who had no luck at the parking pull off we headed downstream and fished our way back, catching small browns on Panther Martin and Rooster Tail spinners. I was teaching David basic small stream tactics...low profile, slow quiet movement, holding areas and the need for accurate first casts etc. He had a blast and did well. But no keepers for my Uncle. Found a pothole pool in fast water. It was about 3 feet by 3 feet with small rapids on each side. This 18" buck brown hammered my white rooster tail. I had to run up to the pool to keep him from getting into the Rock filled rapids between me and him. Had no net but I managed to belly lift him. Mission accomplished!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
New York is renowned for it's trout streams. The Delaware, The Ausable, Beaverkill and many others. This fish lived 25 miles north of New York City in Westchester County. Those streams are known to locals only and serious flyfishermen who live in the city (few own cars in NYC but they can take a train and get into some of these from the train station). I grew up fishing them. This one is called Amawalk Outlet.

#10 ·
Cousin David lives in an awesome condo on the Hudson. When he raised his garage door to get his fishing gear this was wedged in there. He never drives it, battery is dead.

#15 ·
I spent a lot years driving a semi into Hunts point market, meat market lower Manhattan and the Bronx in the middle of the night. I don’t care if I ever go back to these fascinating places again. But I do miss the food that the city has to offer especially a slice of pizza in Brooklyn dripping with goodness.

#16 ·
In Hunts Point they'd open the back of your trailer even if the driver was in the cab. And a smart driver would let them. Before Guiliani was mayor we'd pay a kid selling knock off or stolen Yankees t-shirts $5 to watch our car when going to games in the South Bronx with the promise of 5 more if the car was okay when we returned. Cousin David had his RX7 stolen there once when he decided to save the parking fee by parking under the elevated train tracks. Yankees owner George Steinbrenner told Rudy he'd move the Yankees to New Jersey if he didn't do something about the crime. Ever since there is a cop everywhere you looked during games. But you'd best be out of there a couple hours after. But upstate is a whole 'nother world. Very conservative too. But the millions of City liberals almost always carry the State during elections.

#17 ·
The trucking company I leased to had so many problems in the market they eventually stopped going there. I picked up sausage casings bound for Texas at 2am in the Bronx about twice a month. Eventually I became good friends with a couple guys who enlightened me that not just casings was in those 55 gallon drums. Packed deep in the casings was high end Russian vodka that was illegal in the states. I never had any problems in the Bronx loading up and getting out but pretty much knew this had place had mob connections.

#19 ·
Yes sir, never get out of the truck and hope they did not come up to the cab to rob you also. That place was so bad that a couple guys I knew quite there job right there on the spot when the dispatcher told them they had a load there. The meat market was a whole different world there was cops everywhere.

#20 ·
A friend from Greenville (SC) had a small truck outfit. Some of his drivers would refuse to go there. A friend from Barnardsville took a load of Pumpkins there and it being his first trip there was surprised that the lady who was giving him his check was sitting behing several inches of bullet resistant glass. I did fish the Battenkill while helping my Broooooklyn born friend winterize the family getaway house near the VT border. Absolutely gorgeous.

#21 ·
My dad used to tell a joke about a friend jacking up the front of his car to change a flat there, when he noticed the back of the car going up too, when he looked around he saw two guys who said "you take the front two wheels, we'll take the back".. Based on these stories, I wonder if it was actually a joke or a true story, lol

#24 ·
Cousin David made me look like a saint. He was always in trouble. Had a mohawk and was a linebacker on the football team. One time he caught the high school on fire and burned down a couple of classrooms. The school moved to expel him (not suspend...expel). My father was the treasurer of the Republican Party at the time and got a Supreme Court judge to intervene on David's behalf. He got suspended and they sent him down to Gardner Webb to be with me to get him away from there. It happened to be Spring Break so 16 year old David was punished by spending a few days in a Myrtle Beach cottage with a bunch of college girls and a house full of liquor.

#26 ·
But even Times Square recognizes Dr H. View attachment 191677

You cant go anywhere with Dr H even outside the Big City. I had the privilege of fishing a quiet beach with the surf fishing master and was concentrating on learning some of his skills. Then the silence was broken by the sound of people calling his name, your Dr H I recognize you from way down the beach. After the usual photo and signing a autograph and chatting he returns to share his wisdom with me. True story except maybe the autograph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.