NC Angler Forums banner

Fish Report - MHC Offshore 6-11

Offshore 
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  oceanslayer 
#1 ·
Took off out of Beaufort Inlet Saturday, along with the other 66 boats in the Big Rock Lady' Angler Tournament. Going out was fun - head sea with lots of chop, could only avg 20kts (usual 27kts). We pulled up just past the 14 buoy and landed a few small mahi. Trolled out north of the 90' drop and then toward the Atlas Tanker. Nice water over there, had a marlin in the spread but he wouldn't eat anything.

Had a boat show up that lost all navigation equipment...was asking me the distance and direction to the knuckle buoy. As I was telling him the downrigger went off and line was screaming off - nice King!

My crew was really sea sick that day. Hard running a spread with all the chumming and sleeping. They hung in strong, and luckly the seas calmed down. I had one of those electric shock watches and it appeared to help one guy.

I think the Big Rock anglers are sandbagging during the lady's tourney. They really landed some nice one's today. 652lber and another 580lber. One huge one (780lbs) was not allowed due to mutilation (prop strike I think). Always drama in that tourney.

Going to probably take a few weeks off. Need some new water in, the dog days of Summer arrived early this year. Nobody is catching much from what I've seen - other than marlin!

Boat Water Watercraft Naval architecture Blue
Sky Water Naval architecture Vehicle Smile
Water Sky Cloud Smile Boat
Water Sky Shorts Vertebrate Smile

See less See more
#4 ·
good job on the fish double barrel. I guess ur day was fairly slow like ours. Do you ever target billfish on any of your trips? I have never caught one and was just wondering if you wanted to try for some one day this summer?

P.S. That bean bag u got is pretty darn comfy...

#5 ·
Bean bags are the bomb - one day I'm going to sleep in one (on the way home).

I will be focusing on billfish during the hot months. Don't have to do much different for sails and whites than your standard spread. I run more dredges (2x) and more naked bally. Blue marlin are a little different - larger baits and faster troll. Teasers get bigger as well, bowling pins vice strip teasers. Also have two dropback baits in the ready.

When you get a hit, I just look straight back and wait to see what jumps out of the water. The anticipation is fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.