NC Angler Forums banner

Missing Red X Crew Post

29K views 286 replies 16 participants last post by  RaymondWells 
#1 ·
Man it sure is a drag not seeing Red X postings anymore.

#177 ·
That's for sure. A closer look at the WC shows they are doing some CYA on the furthest out days. They have the graphic for full on rain, the drop for precip type, but then only 40% chance every single day from the 8th to the 16th. Each of those days, the predicted high is within 3 degrees of 60 and the predicted low within 3 degrees of 40. So it looks like they think there will be some clouds around, maybe it will rain, maybe it won't, it seems like it will cool to around 40 and warm to around 60 most of those days. But instead of being that vague, they push those numbers around a little bit on each day.

They like having a little fun with the long range forecast in Canada (keep in mind numbers are Celsius):

[video=youtube;wkDvqQKGgDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkDvqQKGgDA[/video]

The post surgery rehab of my shoulder is going well, but not miraculous and I won't be paddling. If I am shore bound, I will be a little more weather dependent than most. I don't want to risk scrambling around on muddy banks, slipping and putting my hand out from instinct.

#178 ·
There is a little country store near my house that the old timers meet every day discussing weather,farming and who passed away. From what I have gathered while sitting with them for awhile they observe the animals and how much nuts a tree produces for predicting weather. They are way more accurate on how bad a winter or hot the summer will be than the weather channel. I think a weekly Saturday attendance of the get together will be beneficial and a good lesson on what nature tells us what the weather might bring. The only down side is eating the amount of salted fish, hoop cheese and moon pies they devour.

#188 ·
I mentioned this before, but it was kind of buried in the context of another post...

Does anyone have a spot on a boat? I would certainly pony up some gas money. I can't paddle due the the post surgery shoulder rehab and if I am going to be shore bound it will affect my thinking with regard to weather; I don't want to clamor around on muddy banks, slip and put my arm out on reflex. Hopefully the weather pattern will change and it will be nice and dry and that won't be a concern.

#189 ·
Opti

I'm not sure anyone is bringing a boat. But there is a fishing pier if the shore is too slick for you. I bet there are accessible spots along the shore though. Both bass and crappie should be staging in deeper water adjacent to the shallow spawning areas. I'd toss a chatterbait jig for bass (with a crawfish or twin tail grub threaded on the hook). Crappie may be up close around brush. A small maribou jig a foot or two under a weighted float is deadly...move it very slowly. A bass will grab it too. You can buy a 'card,' of them at Bass pro for a couple of bucks. Or get some #4 thin wire hooks and some lip hooked minnows from a bait shop.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

#195 ·
Unsure... I am now out on Sunday anyway, I have an appointment in Greensboro at 10.

Talking to Gene... he may be doing a uwharrie float on sat morning. Thinks fishing may be better on the river than the lake at high water levels.

Easy trip from the campsite... And he says he catches some VERY nice fish there in March.

#196 ·
I wonder if it's the stretch where Gene took mwagner and I on an "aquatic hike" one day. Stretches were floatable. I caught lots of panfish and I have another story to tell, so it was still a good day. Probably has enough water in it with all the recent and forecast rain.

#200 ·
In the summer the Uwharrie has spots that require some dragging. I've kayaked it from the low water bridge all the way to Tillery (16 miles, 2 day trip). It's very very remote with few places to get out due to high banks. In March, be sure to have dry clothes in a dry bag and first aid supplies. Waders too. I've kayaked it in April and that stream is hypothermia cold. There are big smallies in there (mostly in the upper section) but not big numbers. This old man is fishing the lake.

#207 ·
So I'm going bring all my boats and make the decision on lake or river depending on number at each.
Donnie's buddy has my spare yak and then there will either be Slayer 14 or a frontier 10. Just be warned if you hits rocks in the frontier you have to say sorry to Ted. I believe he will know deep down in his soul that his former yak has took damage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#208 ·
Also in case I didn't state before my buddy and former boss man is coming. What time Are y'all plotting getting down

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#211 ·
My Nuke 12 has been collecting dust and mouse turds in my shop for months. This morning I mounted a new rod holder made by a company named Brocraft which must be a minority owned business. It replaced one of my Ram Tubes which likely is a company that also makes sex toys. The tube fell victim to a fiesty redfish who prematurely dismounted it last Fall on the Lockwood Folly river at Varnamtown resulting in a broken base. Only my lightening quick reflexes saved him from absconding with an All Star Trout and Redfish special and a Shimano Stradic ci4+.

The Brocraft is well hung on the slide mount but we will see how it performs.

Other than that I have done nothing to prepare for the upcoming weekend.

#214 ·
I have some good news....the roof rack for the Saturn is installed....the kayak fits....the tent stored in the garage was found....I will be seeing you all this Friday, barring any drastic change in weather!! It appears I need to book site 87 and purchase some food for the meals! I look forward to my first camping M&G!

#217 ·
I remember someone asking if we are doing a group meal both days. Are we going to try a 2 day group meal or stay with the usual Saturday meal. Right now I have no clue what to bring for the Saturday meal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.