NC Angler Forums banner

Oak Hollow 2-23-20: Great Afternoon

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SurfRider 
#1 ·
It's time to go fishing!

With the warmer weather a couple days after the cold snap I figured it could be a feast or famine kind of day but it was too nice out not to go. I had gone out 2 weeks ago after the big rain and managed to catch 2 small fish, so I was hoping for more with the clearing water. I got 2 good bites early on a chatterbait but they wouldn't eat it. I kept switching lures and had a KVD 1.5 on and was casting a shallow point. The wind blew my line behind a post and I started burning it to keep from getting hung. I ended up hooking a fish but I though I snagged a carp. Ended up being a 5-10. Sometimes doing the wrong thing works. Just a few minutes later I had a 3-9 grab the crank right at the boat. I thought it was going to be a good crankbait bite but I ended up breaking the bill off it.

Hauled water for a while then caught a 2 lb on a spinnerbait. Kept working that spinnerbait down a bank I like and caught a 3-6. This area was shaded and the water a bit cooler. As I got to the end of the bank on a point the water jumped up a degree and I was thinking there should be one here. Two casts later on cue got a 5-5. That fish acted like it was in 75 degree water, it jumped probably 6-7 times. I only had about 15 min left and ran to another point. Caught a 3-12 right before I had to leave.

Caught 2 on the KVD and the rest on a spinnerbait. Never did catch one on the chatterbait or a jig I pitched some. All the fish were pretty white which tells me they had just moved up to feed. It should only get better from here on.

Fished from 11:00 till 4:35 (4:45 is off the water time). Water was 49-50. Had from 1-1.5 ft of visibility. All the fish were on banks with wind and in less than 5 FOW.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Andrew, you have singlehandedly reversed the 'Dead Sea' moniker I used to give Oak Hollow. You are on fire. Glad you got some really nice fish. Hope you and the boys are well. Don't forget you know where to find me if you find any time to make it down to the panhandle!

Reactions: Bleedingblue
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.