NC Angler Forums banner

First Time

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Scott Hobbs 
#1 ·
Went out and fly fished for the first time today. Got off to a rough start. Fell down the bank and landed butt first in a foot of water. Started casting around. Tried my hand at roll cast. And BAM! I caught myself! First time in 8 years of serious bass and surf fishing that that has happened. About time. Got it out. Man do barbs really work. Relaxed and seemingly started to figure things out. Caught 4 or 5 bluegills. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, you caught some bluegills. That is one of the best fish you will ever catch, even better than huge red drum, permit, tarpon, or anything else. Bluegills are the first fish most of us caught on fly rods. They fight like demons. They taste great fried with a mess of grits. It is almost impossible to over-fish them. They love to bite and fight. They are the entry fish for many a fly angler but those of us who have been fly fishing for years secretly wish we could catch a mess of them for supper every time we go out. They are so good to eat!. So welcome to the bluegill appreciation club! Whitefish115

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.