NC Angler Forums banner

Forum Issues today

40K views 83 replies 23 participants last post by  Cpg1124 
#1 ·
Hi folks. There is some weird stuff happening on the backend of the forum system today. I've opened a support ticket with tech support to check it out. If you have any issues with problems posting, etc. that you want to share please do so in this thread and I'll pass them on. Hopefully they can clear up the problems pretty quickly.

Makes me want to go fishing. :) Thanks for your patience.

Randy
Admin

#37 ·
Hey Randy...I have TWO issues with the site lately:

(1) At first I though it was my keyboard on my laptop, but after SEVERAL visits to the site, I realized that there was a "glitch" and that I really had to "two finger type" and watch the screen to make certain that all my strokes were being turned into characters..MUCH better tonight but still doing it a little.

(2) rgarbar just posted my other issue...I cannot see ANY of the "thumbail" pix people post...when I click on one, the screen just blacks out...
Thank you for getting these glitches fixed......JohnYaksJax

#38 ·
Hey all

Those using IE - did you add the site to compatibility mode?
(How to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...-fix-site-display-problems-compatibility-view ) That usually fixes most issues with IE.

The images not loading (only screen darkening) however, is another issue. I will add this site to the list. Tech is still investigating the conflict, so no ETA on a fix for that yet. For the time being, you can right-click on them and 'view in new tab'. This will give you the full size image. Alternatively, as mentioned, you can use another browser to avoid the problem.

As for uploading images - what issues are you coming across here? Is this only affecting IE or other browsers as well? if IE, does compatibility mode help at all? Are you getting error messages? Please outline the steps you are taking and what is preventing you from completing the task.

Test image:
Triangle Slope Font Rectangle Symbol

The attachments do seem to be working on Chrome.

Dayle

#40 ·
#39 ·
Mozilla Firefox seems to fix the issues I've been having. Seems as though I can type without it missing letters, the picture shows as normal, will try to attach an image to see if all my problems have just been because of IE. Can't make changes on my work computer so I'll just have to use Firefox. Water Smile Sky Cloud Lake

#42 ·
I am an ecomm professional, running 4 sites that do about $100m a year in sales combined....

What are your target browsers that you support? Obviously, you defer your mobile experience to tapatalk, but I would expect ie/edge 10,11, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari to all be targets, and the site to function as designed in all 4.

The use of this type of board is declining, but this one has a passionate user base... most of this type of talk/discussion has moved to FB and instagram. Try not to kill this one with bad experiences.... Once the decline has begun, they are generally irreversible.

#50 ·
So, I know this issue has been addressed already, but I still have issues with viewing pictures on the forum. If I click on to make it larger it still turns my screen dark, the pic never comes up, and I have to use the back button for the site to do anything. I heard that different browsers don't do this, but on my work computer I cant install anything and am stuck using IE. Is there going to be a fix for this issue?

#52 ·
Almost never go in here for the past month due to problems...

1--If I even scroll over a thumbnail, my screen blacks out and I have to click on Escape to restore it.
2--Typing is down to a hunt and peck speed...one key at a time very slowly.
3--Same issues as the guys before this post...
Hope it gets fixed soon!!
JohnYasax (which is how JohnYaksJax just came out!!!)

#53 ·
Has to be something in your browsers...I use chrome and explorer on windows...and Tapatalk on my iPhone and am not having any issues.

I know our tech people are trying to figure it out, but maybe some cache cleaning or history deleting may help, too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#54 ·
I put up some pics Friday? I turned the pictures when I moved them into "my Pictures" When I put them on the thread they reverted to their original sideways state. I deleted, backed out, and did it again, something, Odd. The lose of the spacebar is still a problem in PM replies and "Reply with Quote". I t may be the browser, if it is it will just have to be, I am not dancing around to find something that suits, I will just struggle through.

Darrell

#55 ·
Yeah...I don't know...just throwing some ideas. Cookie cleaning helps too and doesn't take too long.

Sorry for the issues but hang in there...and keep playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dbeam
#56 ·
'View profile' by user takes forever, or several minutes at least, to load, but 'view forum posts' by user loads normally. Go to last post just takes me to last page of thread, not to last post. Using Mozilla Firefox now as I don't seem to have the photo issues mentioned above that happen when using IE.

#60 ·
Hello

These is still no update on the image issue for IE users. Tech is working with vBulletin and continuing to investigate it's cause.
Are you seeing this same behaviour on other browsers? (Click on thumbnail, screen darkens, but no image appears)

Does anyone have an opinion on my previous suggestion - we can make the thumbnails larger, so you can view them without opening each of them individually.

Typing without in PM and Quote With Reply is a Chrome conflict with the vBulletin 4 software which is used on this site. We have reports of this behaviour from IE as well. This is a known issue and has been reported to vBulletin. At this time, it is a not a priority for them to resolve. We will update you when we hear more.

The current work arounds for this is as follows:
-type your response ABOVE the Quote tags
-hit the A/A button (top left corner of reply box). This removes formatting, allowing spacebar to function.
-change your Editor in General Settings here: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions The second last option. WYSIWYG is the default - change it to Standard.
-type any character, hit enter twice, then type your message. You can go back and delete the random character at the beginning.

Those reporting missing characters while typing, can you let us know what browser you are using? Is this on every page you visit in the forum, or only certain ones?

Pictures turned sideways is not necessarily an issue, just an inconvenience. Your phone and cameras embed EXIF data in the photo, and this tells programs things like location, shutter speed, ISO, and orientation. Unfortunately, forum software cannot read this data, and so the photo will be displayed in the orientation it was taken. The developers made this orientation relate to that of a regular DSLR camera - taking a photo holding your phone upright is the same as taking a photo with a DLSR in portrait - rotated to the side 90 degrees.

There are a couple things that can be done so your photos display upright here:
- open the photos in an editor, rotate them, and resave them. It must be done in an editor (like Paint), as the 'Image Preview' on your computer will not necessarily save changes.
- if you are on your phone, there are editors you can use there as well. Sometimes you may need to crop the image (a few pixels) and resave it under a new name so that it understands changes have been made.
- upload your photos to a photo host site, like Flickr. Their programs can read EXIF data and will rotate photos to display upright. You can then link them from there, or resave them on your computer and upload them here.
- hold your phone in the way the developers made "correct". For Apple users, your VOLUME buttons should be DOWN. For Android users, your HOME button should be to the RIGHT.

There are currently no known add-ons for any forum software that will read this data, with the exception of phpBB - this has one that is a 50/50 chance of working, or deleting the entire photo database on site. That said, we do have it in queue for our development team to look at, but there are many projects ahead of it in schedule.

Dayle

#77 ·
These is still no update on the image issue for IE users. Tech is working with vBulletin and continuing to investigate it's cause.
Are you seeing this same behaviour on other browsers? (Click on thumbnail, screen darkens, but no image appears)
Hey all

I believe this should now be resolved. Testing on our end looks good - can you give it a try? IE users should now be able to open full size images by just clicking on the thumbnail (no need to right-click and open in new window).

You may need to clear your cache and cookies to be sure your browser catches the fix.

Dayle

#62 ·
Same old problems as I reported back on my March 12 post....Nothing has changed as far as I can tell, which has caused me to not participate in here as much as I used to....and I doubt very seriously that I will send my annual donation to the site that I have always done....

Thanks to Dayle for at least answering Wademaster's request for an update, altho the answer is "computer-speak" that nothing is fixed or changed....the old "our best experts are working on it"....
In the meantime, I will pop in here daily to see how everyone is doing...JohnYaksJax

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.