Hard to Get Down East, but Definitely Worth the Drive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard to Get Down East, but Definitely Worth the Drive

Default Hard to Get Down East, but Definitely Worth the Drive

Swampin and I had a very good day down east fishing from the plastic boats. Hardest part of the whole trip was figuring out how to drive from point A to point Beach without getting wet. Ended up having to go all the way to Vanceboro to get around the mess in Kinston. Tides were right and the wind laid down. Each had our limit of trout from 17-20" by 8am and caught plenty of extras, and managed to get some small to decent sized flounder and drum (black and red) as well. Gulp, mirrolures, zmans, big beetle spins, and xraps all got the nod from willing fish today. I suppose it could be better, but not much better.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Man I hate Trout fishing....

You have me thinking of finding a way out there this weekend.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    You have me thinking of finding a way out there this weekend.
    Might be a spot on the trailer this week unless "mama" decides to go this weekend

Departs Stokesdale around 2am Saturday in route to either Fort Fisher or CB state park.

Might take you up on that and help out with gas money... How rough is the water there usually? I don't generally do waves over a foot.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by Swampin' View Post
    Man I hate Trout fishing....
    Clearly lol
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    Might take you up on that and help out with gas money... How rough is the water there usually? I don't generally do waves over a foot.
    You are a prime candidate for the Fort then! I have only been out there one time when it was what I consider "rough". Even then, we powered thru it till we got across the basin where it was much calmer. Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss. If the weather stays as it is forecast now, I will be heading down.

Nice work! Did you happen to take a video of Cody trying to wrangle all 4 of those fish on to his fingers for the picture? I have seen the pre-picture prep, it's just about as entertaining as any good fish picture I've seen.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    Nice work! Did you happen to take a video of Cody trying to wrangle all 4 of those fish on to his fingers for the picture? I have seen the pre-picture prep, it's just about as entertaining as any good fish picture I've seen.
    No, but a video of me trying to get 4 trout and a large flounder to hang right would've been a good laugh. Cody's got more experience with the deck shot than I do, so it was pretty much me putting fish on fingers and him telling me it looked dumb until I got it right. Like I told Cody, if they'd take the nets outta the water, then we could just do it like they do in Louisiana: a fish in each hand and the other 23 laid out on the deck
    quest4reds, and Swampin' like this.

Haha Matt I did have one of the long dead trout slip and somehow managed to bite my hand and draw blood in three places. I guess I'm gonna become a fish zombie now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    quest4reds likes this.

Well both are good problems to have, you guys are out there catching fish! I've hardly had a chance to get out this year and this weekend isn't looking good either And apparently, the fishing gods think it's hysterical to only allow me one fish per day of fishing, and it appears they rarely take days off, so if you'll notice all my fish pictures, are me holding just one fish.
    Swampin' likes this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    Well both are good problems to have, you guys are out there catching fish! I've hardly had a chance to get out this year and this weekend isn't looking good either And apparently, the fishing gods think it's hysterical to only allow me one fish per day of fishing, and it appears they rarely take days off, so if you'll notice all my fish pictures, are me holding just one fish.
    Hahaha, well at least the DMF has your back. As long as you stick with reds, one is all you need!
    quest4reds likes this.

How did the large beetle spins work out? What did you catch?
    Aka: Inshorefisher

He was catching reds on it. It's a heavy duty salt water beetle spin. Very simular to a redfish magic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AHODGES21 View Post
    How did the large beetle spins work out? What did you catch?
    What Cody said. It's just like a redfish magic but with a smaller profile. I think it will be good for reds in the Neuse but the ones in the marsh didn't seem to mind it either.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast