NC Angler Forums banner

Personal best and a little mishap.

Inshore 
3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  basswrangler 
#1 ·
Ended up catching my personal best Friday afternoon. I knew when I got that solid tug and weight on the end of the line it wasn't in the same class of the fish we have been catching. At first she wouldn't budge I though I hooked a drum or big flounder. She took a bit of drag and then finally I got that head shake and new it was a good trout OR CITATION lizard fish. Lol. Finally got her to the boat and my brother executed a perfect net job. Measured in at 22inches. Not a monster but my personal best. She was a fat heavy fish and I wish I had better pictures but right after dust settled I dropped my rod in the water and reaching for it fell in. I had just got off the phone with my wife 10 minutes before that and never put my phone back on the console. Now the rod that went in the water was a custom built rod with a fairly expensive reel and I don't mind getting a refreshing dip with all my cloths on so that wasn't the issue I did get my rod back. But lost the phone to water damage and all the pictures from the last week I took which is what upset me the most. Other thing is the current was moving so fast I couldn't get back to the boati quickly kicked my crocs off I never wear the heal straps for this reason and they float no worries and was kicking with all I had and only 1 arm usable I could just barely not reach the motor or swim platform. My brother thank god quickly realized what happened and was able to grab the rod and pull me in. Now if I was alone and had not been using my trolling motor as an anchor it may have been different. Atleast with the trolling motors with wireless control you can still turn off the anchor feature and catch the boat up to yourself.nows the time to be even more careful with water and air temps dropping this could have been terrible. Oh well was still an awesome week of fishing and we just missed our limit Friday by 1 fish.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah we were planning on heading to the local tackle store to grab a scale to weigh her guessing 3.5-4lb range. But the cell put a damper on things. My brother ran into town with the phone to a repair store where they took it apart and tried replacing everything with no luck. Oh well it was worth a shot. Thank go the wife made me get insurance I forgot I had and new phones on the way $125 Later.

#6 ·
Thats a nice looking fish Sorry about the phone I firmly believe that your must give to the fish gods to recieve from the fish gods Looks like you now have a credit :D

Reactions: dbeam and Nickp
#7 ·
LOL! I'm only laughing because I've done both of these things, just different times. I've dropped my phone in the water right after taking a picture of a giant, uh lets call it 14 pound bass:D, and it sank to the bottom. I jumped off my kayak to get it to no avail. I now have about a 3 foot piece of 80# mono attached to my pfd and a loop of 80# mono crimped onto the lanyard hole on my waterproof phone cover.

Have also fallen off my boat after making a successful throw of the cast net and my buddy moved a bit in the back just enough for me to lose my balance and into the drink I went. I did manage to hold the net closed and retrieve my fresh caught bait along with a short flounder! My phone was in my pocket with my lifeproof case on it. Rinsed it in fresh water when I got home to get the salt off, no phone problems. That lifeproof case works. Didn't help any for the phone that sank to the bottom, but it'll protect it in your pocket.

Nice job on the PB trout!

#9 ·
Lol! It wasn't funny at the time but looking back now I can tell you the boats parked around us though it was hilarious. We pulled up no one was catching and we drag 7 keepers in and they are looking at us with disbelief. Then I fall in like a fat kid trying to do a flip into a pool not so pretty. They were saying he got what he deserved! Lol I've been the guy not catching more times then not and its so frustrating. Move to the same spot after they leave and never catch a thing. Oh well they got a good laugh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.