Anglers Angling for Tougher NC Rules on Shrimp Trawlers - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anglers Angling for Tougher NC Rules on Shrimp Trawlers

Excellent post Austen, I think you nailed it on the head. Farmers harvest a resource that they replenish at the start of every growing season. Input then output. One could argue that commercial and recreational licensure are forms of input, but when the stocking occurs in mountain streams rather than large estuaries where there is actually revenue to be generated, that argument can fall short.( I'll add that I am in support of taking measures that don't require stocking)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I do not think that many commercial fishermen are against good and needful regulations. The problem is that some rec groups are demanding certain regulations be enacted who's primary purpose is to put commercials out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
    I do not think that many commercial fishermen are against good and needful regulations. The problem is that some rec groups are demanding certain regulations be enacted who's primary purpose is to put commercials out of a job.
    Maybe the majority feel that way. Given your handle, you would have a more informed opinion than most of us. However the ones who tend to make their voices most heard, in person and on the internet, do not seem to share such a favorable opinion on regulation. If the majority do feel this way, they are the (very) silent majority. If new regulations designed to enhance the fishery for all are one day decided by the voters, then I hope the silent majority is able to make its voice heard.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Curious to know what percentage of nc caught fish/shrimp is consumed in nc (I'm assuming most!) vs the percentage imported (from other states and countries). We have a number of great seafood restaurants here in Greensboro but I seriously doubt they get their seafood from our coast. I will have to ask the next time we dine out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the seafood served in nc comes frozen in boxes from Argentina

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    NukeMan814 likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kdig67 View Post
    Curious to know what percentage of nc caught fish/shrimp is consumed in nc (I'm assuming most!) vs the percentage imported (from other states and countries). We have a number of great seafood restaurants here in Greensboro but I seriously doubt they get their seafood from our coast. I will have to ask the next time we dine out.

I'd like to see actual stats on this, as well. I suspect it would be difficult to get truly unbiased stats but would be interested to see.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by kdig67 View Post

Maybe someone knows where to find this info, but I've never been able to.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson

I doubt if anyone really has any idea. Hardly any processing plants for seafood products here in NC and would assume that most seafood is shipped out of State to be processed. No telling how much of that processed seafood actually ends up back on NC seafood plates which begs the question, Are NC caught shrimp for example that are shipped out of state to be processed, (headed/deveined) and then shipped back to NC considered local caught and sold? I bought perhaps 4 to 5 hundred dollars worth of shrimp from one of the local shrimpers myself and know many people that did the same. I seldom go to any of the retail seafood markets but many of them here along the coast do sell lots of seafood to the tourist and even to locals. Many of the area restaurants sell fresh local seafood when its available but am not sure if anyone knows how much is local or how much is from out of state. Bottom line is no-one knows

I imagine there is some data at the nc dept of revenue or commerce. Lord knows they know everything I've been doing! Just curious.

Its probably tough for a restaraunt to count on a reliable source of fresh local shrimp with the lack of processing facilities and that a lot of the shrimp comes from the large boats that go out for the whole week. If you serve a lot of a product you would probably need to resupply midweek if you are keeping it FRESH vs frozen and those boats won't be back unitl Fri.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123