What I fear..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What I fear.....

If you wonder why suddenly, in most spots (not all) that were producing respectable catches of keeper trout through Nov are now yielding only spikes, the answer is in that picture above. Gillnet pressure in my area has been relentless, and yet another good season came to a grinding halt as a result. Rec take and C&R mortality are definitely factors as well, but at four fish per day I'd say the rec sector has done their part. Pics like that one above are only the tip of the iceberg.
    GreyGhost likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

There are people in both the rec and commercial fishery that take more than they are supposed to. Because I tend to think more good of people than not, I would think that it is a small percentage of each that take more than the limits allow.

I know from a recent post here that a group of rec anglers took way more than they were supposed to...catching more than a limit each time out in the same day. It happens on both sides.

I feel most people are honest and would do what they could to stay legal because the fines and reputation loss is more than they want to jeopardize.

I would like to see more money go into the enforcement of the laws. More enforcement boats on the water, more presence at the docks...something more.
    GreyGhost likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I'm seriously looking at doing my coastal fishing in SC since the drive time is about same to our coast. I have friends that fish there and they definitely catch more fish and quality ones at that. I dont really like taking my money out of state but really don't like what is going on here.
    dbeam likes this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Some rec guys do keep more than their limit, I catch and release nearly all the fish I catch along with the other folks on my boat. I know alot of guys that only C&R. That may offset the ones that cheet the limits. Not much C&R on the com side.
    dbeam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisfishing View Post
    There are people in both the rec and commercial fishery that take more than they are supposed to. Because I tend to think more good of people than not, I would think that it is a small percentage of each that take more than the limits allow.

I know from a recent post here that a group of rec anglers took way more than they were supposed to...catching more than a limit each time out in the same day. It happens on both sides.

I feel most people are honest and would do what they could to stay legal because the fines and reputation loss is more than they want to jeopardize.

I would like to see more money go into the enforcement of the laws. More enforcement boats on the water, more presence at the docks...something more.
    It may seem that way, a little bad on both sides, but I've heard from enough people who spend enough time on the water and back at the dock to believe one side is reporting a lot less fish on the books than is actually being towed home in their truck beds. To be honest, I don't know a single rec angler who wasn't shocked to see someone not abiding by the rec limit on trout. It's as foreign to me as someone actually keeping a bass. Not only is it not a thought to keep over the limit, but because most of us care so much about the resource, it's completely out of left field to think one of our own would think it was ok enough to post pictures of it. If all you ever see on the subject is what's posted on NCAngler, then you're missing 99% of the picture.
    dbeam, and Swampin' like this.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12