NCWF Petition to DENR re. nursery areas and shrimp trawling.

Thread: NCWF Petition to DENR re. nursery areas and shrimp trawling.

Default NCWF Petition to DENR re. nursery areas and shrimp trawling.

Big Opportunity for Fisheries Conservation
    There is an opportunity before the citizens of North Carolina to protect our aquatic marine habitats-North Carolina Wildlife Federation has petitioned the NC Marine Fisheries Commission to establish expanded nursery areas to protect juvenile fish to allow them a better chance to reach spawning age.

Within these new nursery areas, restrictions would be placed on shrimp trawling activities, including reducing the times allowed for trawling and the kind of gear used for trawling. North Carolina is the onlystate on the east coast to allow shrimp trawling in its sounds, fish nurseries, and estuaries. North Carolina's sounds and estuaries are highly productive areas that provide essential habitat to later juvenile fish before these fish have an opportunity to spawn and contribute to the adult population.

This petition for rule-making aims to bring North Carolina in line with all other east coast and Gulf states in limiting trawling in sensitive and critical nursery and habitat areas. It is time we get serious about the future of our fish stocks for the future of North Carolina's families and economy.

You can help greatly at this historical crossroads for NC.

January 17 New Bern, NC
    The Marine Fisheries Commission has received the Petition and has scheduled a Public Hearing to receive input into the content of the Petition and the question of adopting its recommendations. The Public Hearing will be held beginning at 12:30 pm on January 17, 2017 in New Bern, NC at the New Bern Riverfront Convention Center, 203 South Front Street, New Bern, NC. This is your chance to be heard about the proper management and protection of our marine fisheries resources.

Attend the Hearing if you can and by all means submit your comments in support of the Petition by clicking on the link below.

http://cqrcengage.com/ncwf/app/onest...ementId=269113

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dale: I agree that this is an important opportunity or threshold for NC to make some meaningful changes that will improve our fisheries and the health of our sounds. I support the NCWF Petition for Rulemaking, and I hope the MFC will adopt the recommended measures. To me, there's just no escaping the conclusion that bottom trawling in our critical nursery areas with a 4:1 ratio of bycatch to shrimp harvested and tens of millions of juvenile finfish killed and discarded every year is responsible for a precipitous decline in a once abundant fishery. NC is the only state that allows this, and I believe it is directly responsible for the decline and near disappearance of our gray trout, croaker & spot. Franc White on the old Southern Sportsman TV show identified this as a problem in Pamlico Sound over 30 years ago. Now one of the most productive & reliable inshore fisheries in the entire country seems to have become a thing of the past. To me, that's just tragic and we should try to fix it.

I know that the commercial shrimping industry in NC and elsewhere is working on bycatch reduction devices (BRD), and I have no doubt that most shrimpers detest the waste associated with bottom trawling. But their profit margins and business models won't allow for meaningful self regulation or limitations on their gear. In the good old days we had mostly small boats with independent operators. They did damage, but it was localized and small in scale compared to today. Now we have large boats mostly owned by a few large corporations, some which are multinational, scouring the bottom of the Pamlico Sound beam to beam with 220' head ropes almost every single day during the shrimp season which is way too long and which shouldn't be in our nursery habitats to begin with. You can see the results on YouTube or Vimeo. They look like this.

From the Hobucken based F/V Birdie P trawling in the Pamlico Sound-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLl4GSZLqGU

From the F/V Gulf Stream III in the Pamlico Sound

From the F/V Miss Taylee trawling in NC's ocean waters off Brunswick County-

I'd urge anyone who agrees that we need to adopt some meaningful measures to restrict bottom trawling in our sounds to attend the MFC public hearing in New Bern on the 17th and to make public comments on behalf of the resource. If you're not sure, or if your mind isn't made up yet, I'd encourage you to go and become acquainted with the facts of the issue and the arguments on both sides. I think that as more recreational fishermen become aware and informed on these types of issues we may be able to speak with a more unified and powerful voice. I realize that if there was a simple solution to this, that it would have already been fixed. But since there is no simple solution, some hard but rational choices must be made. It think the time to do that is now.

Submitted comments a few days ago, just wish the meeting wasn't during the day so that I could attend, no way for me to get time off last minute like this though unfortunately.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Message sent. Also shared with friends not on the forum.

Those videos are appalling. I really hope this gets the support it needs to make some changes.

Blog Entries

Really could use maximum support with this. I think it's a fair way for everyone to continue benefitting from the resource.

Any word on the turn out yesterday? I saw a good amount of commercial fisherman showed up but I'm wondering about the turn out for those of us in favor of the new regulations?

I wasn't there... but from all reports "the fix was in".... The meetings were set up so that pro-resource voices got no chance to fish, and the NCFA, a group representing commercial fishing, shared the welcoming table with the state staff.

Man.... I don't know that it is corrupt.... but it sure smells like that from what I heard.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

That sucks. Thanks for the update.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements