Challenging myself this year and will need help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Challenging myself this year and will need help

Default Challenging myself this year and will need help

Ok everyone just to start off with I'm new to this site and new to kayak fishing. Just bought my kayak in October and I've had it out probably 10 times now. Instantly feel in love with it. But this year I wanna challenge myself to do something different. I am normally a bass and catfish fisherman and this year I wanna try something new. I want to get 25 different fresh water species out of my kayak by the end of the season. This is going to push me to go after a lot of species I've never caught, such as gar, carp, etc. this is where I'll need your help to find some of these species and the techniques to catch them. so yeah should be an interesting season, maybe even require a few trips out of state to make it happen. What do you guys think??? think it's do-able, or did I set my goals too high?

Ryan
    dmason390, Gremlinsrus, and Swampin' like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very doable. I managed 15 freshwater species this year kn my fish log, not counting 3 or 4 species of panfish I didn't keep track of. And I really didn't freshwater fish too much. You got this! NC has a very diverse fishery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    basswrangler likes this.

You'll find that a lot of different people on this site target/specialize in a few species and are typically very willing to share what they know (to a point of course). Some will share locations, though most give generic techniques and environments to look for. Good luck! 25 is certainly achievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Heck, we have technically 4 species of black bass (largies, smallies, Kentucky spots, and Alabama spots) AND at least 5 different catfish species (channel, bullhead, flathead, blue, and white)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well since I moved here I almost exclusively fished small ponds. And I found a few that held some really big bass but they didn't have a lot of different species. Now I have my kayak I been fishing some of the bigger lakes. I know I won't have a problem with largemouth, blue gill, channel cat, crappie, and stuff like that. Don't think I've ever caught a blue or flathead. I grew up in upstate ny on lake Champlain and have been thinking about a trip up there to go after northern pike, smallmouth, and few kinds of trout

Let's see.... without TOO fine a cut:
    Bass - LMB, SMB, Spot (not going to try to tell where my Spot comes from)
    Catfish - The 5 above
    White perch, yellow perch
    Striper, hybrid, white bass
    Jack
    Trout - Rainbow, brook, brown
    Creek chub, Sucker, carp
    Gar
    Bowfin
    White crappie, black crappie
    Easy to ID panfish: Red Eye, Blue Gill, Warmouth, pumpkinseed

That's 28 - Yeah you can do it.

Personally, I've yet to catch a hybrid, gar, or bowfin in my life. I'm fine with missing the last two, but a hybrid and a decent striper are on my wish list.

Watch for Red X floats -
    basswrangler, dbeam, and JohnYaksJax like this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    Catfish - The 5 above
    Jack
    Creek chub, Sucker, carp
    Gar
    Bowfin

Personally, I've yet to catch a hybrid, gar, or bowfin in my life. I'm fine with missing the last two, but a hybrid and a decent striper are on my wish list.

Watch for Red X floats -
    If you can count shad as freshwater during the run you can add another 2.
    I'm also trying to catch some stuff I havnt caught before this year. A striper trip and a shad trip are in the planning stages.

Big lenr, do you guys have alot of sucker in gbroro? I caught one on the dan river years ago when I lived in gbroro and had no idea what it was at the time. I hadon't ever seen one before, and have yet to see another.

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    Catfish - The 5 above
    Jack
    Creek chub, Sucker, carp
    Gar
    Bowfin

Watch for Red X floats -
    that's a lot to do in a season haha, I suppose a lot could be knocked out in one day. Btw I live in Burlington and used to work on randleman re in Greensboro. If you wanna get together and fish sometime let me know. I'm always looking for people to fish with

Ryan

Fishin with brown dog

Your in luck, the haw river has the elusive three eyed fish. Just kidding. Id start in a city lake until it warms up then hit the creeks/rivers.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

U guys are impressive. I can't identify 25 different freshwater fish. Bream, Trout, Bass, Catfish, Minnows, Gar, and things that look like gar. Thats 7! You should plan to join some of us for a mountain river float as well as spending some swamp/black water time.

Oh Yeah some people catch things called crappies, but not me, so I guess that is 8.

Darrell
    basswrangler, and Swampin' like this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin with brown dog View Post
    Your in luck, the haw river has the elusive three eyed fish. Just kidding. Id start in a city lake until it warms up then hit the creeks/rivers.
    Haha I was in the haw river a few weeks ago. They have done a good job cleaning it up. Still isn't as good as it should be.
    Bluegill, and dbeam like this.

Man I'm the same way. Simply LM bass fishing doesn't do it for me all the time, I like chasing different stuff. Coming from FL I was spoiled for variety, but the more you look, it's great here! I haven't branched out a lot yet, but frequently have 5-6 specie days trolling the same bait in the spring and summer.

A bit of a drive from Burlington, but I fish Falls, Harris, and Jordan mostly. Falls is pretty easy to get LM, White bass, channel cat, white cat (looks a lot like channel mixed with a bullhead, not the easiest to distinguish sometimes), white perch (catch them until you're bored of them), and the occasional crappie. I see carp rolling in there all the time and haven't tried for them yet. On Jordan I've had everything above plus the entire spectrum of bream/bluegill/sunfish and the striped bass. I love fishing Harris in the spring, you can get back into the shallow grass with a kayak. Good LMs, great chain pickerel, and I've put eyes on BIG bowfin in there.

Kerr, Gaston, and Roanoke Rapids have better populations of striper and hybrids as well I believe. There are also walleye through those lakes, just not super plentiful. I've never targeted them. Head out west a bit and the entire spectrum changes. A select few rivers hold some rare Musky and maybe tiger musky too. Smallmouths pop up in mountain lakes and western rivers.

25 is definitely possible, knowing the differences between some species like catfish and crappie will get you a few extra. Good luck!

^^^
    Harris has Pickerel? I thought Gaston and a few small old mill ponds were the only ones that have them. Never seen one out there. Theres a mill pond I go to towards Wilson that has a ton of them.

Definitely in Harris, surprised me too. Having trouble finding my pictures from last year but I had several over 20" in the shallow grass during the spring just pulling a swimbait on top through the grass channels, letting the tail create a wake. Actually got more pickerel than bass on a handful of days.

**Found one, this one was late spring, toward the end of May. I remember the weather being a little screwy so the shallow fishing was on and off from March to June.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	125186

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy442 View Post
    I grew up in upstate ny on lake Champlain and have been thinking about a trip up there to go after northern pike, smallmouth, and few kinds of trout
    Somehow I missed this. I'm originally from Binghamton and I go up to the finger lakes every summer. If you get the chance to go to any deep (70' +) water upstate, I'd highly recommend trying vertical jigging for lake trout. I assume Champ has them and all of the finger lakes do, well not Oneida. Awesome fun if you have access to a depth finder.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast