Challenging myself this year and will need help - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 61

Thread: Challenging myself this year and will need help

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Garner
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey View Post
    Definitely in Harris, surprised me too. Having trouble finding my pictures from last year but I had several over 20" in the shallow grass during the spring just pulling a swimbait on top through the grass channels, letting the tail create a wake. Actually got more pickerel than bass on a handful of days.

    **Found one, this one was late spring, toward the end of May. I remember the weather being a little screwy so the shallow fishing was on and off from March to June.
    Attachment 125186
    Nice Jack! My pic is probably average size for where I go, I havnt caught as many since Hurricane Matthew tho. There is a lot of Primrose and a lot of Hyancinth that got uprooted and washed away when the waters washed through. Sad day.

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Awesome! I love the off-species that not everyone goes for. Didn't even think about the storm effect but the grass patterns were definitely different when I visited harris on 1/1. Hopefully it comes back, I loved that semi-topwater spring action. The bass explode, the pickerel thrash, and I saw some 10-15# bowfin in there last year without bites. That's a sleigh ride waiting to happen

  4. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Garner
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Yeah, and being a mill pond its river/creek fed, so its more moving water than what harris would have, being a large lake. I heard that sometime in 2016 Harris had actually killed off a lot of the hydrilla intentionally too.
    I love the way a pickerel fights. Ill have to try for a bowfin, that's one I havnt ever caught. Im planning a trip out to either the Tar River or Roanoke at the end of april for some stripers... never caught any of those either.

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Very true. The end of Harris I fish is off the end of a creek but it kind of has that delta affect where it breaks up the flow through tons of little channels and cuts, but being a larger body I hope its fine. I actually loved going after bowfin in FL, so much that I was actually disappointed with big bass some days. Got one just under 10# and wow. The strike is aggressive and the fight is exciting, with strong head shakes and power runs. I've been focused on the lakes for stripers but I think a river trip is in order before they run right up to the dams in the spring, maybe further down toward the sound(s). I tried on Roanoke last year, but the boat traffic and current made for a difficult day even miles downstream from the dam. I got one in Jordan lake completely by surprise in summer of '15, but its hard to get them dependably there.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Garner
    Posts
    131

    Default

    I was going to plan to put on in Weldon off of Rockfish Dr. I havnt ever been there tho so Im not sure about the current, ill have to ask around. I don't think the river is wide enough for the kind of boat traffic towards the coast, but I could be wrong about that. If my plans for the Roanoke don't work, I have the option of the Tar River. A buddy was telling me they get pretty thick in there too, and if the spots he goes to is anything like the Tar towards oxford or Nashville, its not going to have too much boat traffic, or none at all even.
    I tried for striper in Gaston closer to Thanksgiving, but I had no luck. I also didn't get to fish as much as I wanted because a cold front came through bringing 20+ mph wind, and I was on my own trying to paddle 2 miles to one of the creeks I was told to try. Needless to say, I didn't catch anything the entire 2 day stay.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey View Post
    Somehow I missed this. I'm originally from Binghamton and I go up to the finger lakes every summer. If you get the chance to go to any deep (70' +) water upstate, I'd highly recommend trying vertical jigging for lake trout. I assume Champ has them and all of the finger lakes do, well not Oneida. Awesome fun if you have access to a depth finder.
    Oh yeah lake Champlain has some monster lake trout I caught a few when I was a kid. I'd love to try to get one out of a kayak. I always have my deeper fish finder mounted on my kayak, love that thing.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey View Post
    Definitely in Harris, surprised me too. Having trouble finding my pictures from last year but I had several over 20" in the shallow grass during the spring just pulling a swimbait on top through the grass channels, letting the tail create a wake. Actually got more pickerel than bass on a handful of days.

    **Found one, this one was late spring, toward the end of May. I remember the weather being a little screwy so the shallow fishing was on and off from March to June.
    Attachment 125186
    nice catch! Yes pickerel are definable on the list to catch, one of my favorite fish to catch is northern pike. Pickerel are as close as I'll get in this area. I'd love to get a striper too. And of course in this challenge I'm not after trophies in every species, honestly any size will work. Defiantly got to have to break out the ultra light gear for the panfish tho..... gotta make it fun.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Four Oaks
    Posts
    2,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy442 View Post
    nice catch! Yes pickerel are definable on the list to catch, one of my favorite fish to catch is northern pike. Pickerel are as close as I'll get in this area. I'd love to get a striper too. And of course in this challenge I'm not after trophies in every species, honestly any size will work. Defiantly got to have to break out the ultra light gear for the panfish tho..... gotta make it fun.
    Harris is chock full of pickeral. Anywhere there are weed beds, there are pickeral. Also some nice blackfish, aka bowfin, in harris.

    Also, don't forget we have two species of pickeral in nc. The chain pickeral,


    And it's smaller cousin, the Redfin Pickeral. (Ps this is an exceptionally large redfin, most are 6 to 9 inches long and are best targeted with ultralight spoons.



    Both are fun to catch, mostly because the colder the water the better they bite. Now is the time of year to target them. I fish a 8 to 12 inch deep grass flat for them in my waders and have had success this week already.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    dbeam, and quest4reds like this.


  11. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy442 View Post
    Oh yeah lake Champlain has some monster lake trout I caught a few when I was a kid. I'd love to try to get one out of a kayak. I always have my deeper fish finder mounted on my kayak, love that thing.
    Really fun from a kayak! Fight quite a bit more than most people think because they're usually caught with downriggers and planers. Let me know if you're planning on going at any time, I'll give whatever advice you'd like. Tuning in your electronics will work wonders. I fish for them on Cayuga and usually get a few per day up there.

    As for the others, chain pickerel are easy enough and the redfins I haven't found yet, but definitely another species to cross off! Stripers can take a little more effort from a yak. I still don't have them figured out, but I haven't tried a whole lot. I've never taken the time to distinguish many of the panfish, but there are certainly a fair few to be caught. Ultra light is the way to go! There are some yellow perch around, but I've only caught a handful here. Most recent was in Lake Johnson in Raleigh while crappie fishing.
    dbeam likes this.


  12. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Don't forget the Roanoke bass!

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Try some Roanoke bass, they are always fun to catch!

  14. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampin' View Post
    Harris is chock full of pickeral. Anywhere there are weed beds, there are pickeral. Also some nice blackfish, aka bowfin, in harris.

    Also, don't forget we have two species of pickeral in nc. The chain pickeral,


    And it's smaller cousin, the Redfin Pickeral. (Ps this is an exceptionally large redfin, most are 6 to 9 inches long and are best targeted with ultralight spoons.



    Both are fun to catch, mostly because the colder the water the better they bite. Now is the time of year to target them. I fish a 8 to 12 inch deep grass flat for them in my waders and have had success this week already.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    thank for for the great info! Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I probably won't be able to out there till early next month, little backed up with work.... hopefully they will still be biteing.
    dbeam, and Swampin' like this.


  15. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    321

    Default

    To add to your list ,there are several more panfish that can be easily caught.Robins,fliers,green sunfish,rock bass,shellcracker,spotted sunfish and some that are very small and not frequently caught.There are also some suckers,redhorse,buffalo,creek chub,golden shiner,horneyhead,freshwater drum,eel,etc.
    Last edited by Robert Liles; 01-06-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: adding info

  16. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wake Forest
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy442 View Post
    Ok everyone just to start off with I'm new to this site and new to kayak fishing. Just bought my kayak in October and I've had it out probably 10 times now. Instantly feel in love with it. But this year I wanna challenge myself to do something different. I am normally a bass and catfish fisherman and this year I wanna try something new. I want to get 25 different fresh water species out of my kayak by the end of the season. This is going to push me to go after a lot of species I've never caught, such as gar, carp, etc. this is where I'll need your help to find some of these species and the techniques to catch them. so yeah should be an interesting season, maybe even require a few trips out of state to make it happen. What do you guys think??? think it's do-able, or did I set my goals too high?

    Ryan
    Hey keep in touch, I am Game to try this myself!!!!! Sounds like fun!!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Liles View Post
    To add to your list ,there are several more panfish that can be easily caught.Robins,fliers,green sunfish,rock bass,shellcracker,spotted sunfish and some that are very small and not frequently caught.There are also some suckers,redhorse,buffalo,creek chub,golden shiner,horneyhead,freshwater drum,eel,etc.

    Thanks for adding to the list! I'll have to do some research so I can identify the different ones I know nothing about. I used to catch big rock bass and chubs all the time up north.

  18. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts