Stream & River Anti-Pollution Laws Being Repealed - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stream & River Anti-Pollution Laws Being Repealed

Blog Entries

I appreciate the civility so far...I hope it continues.

As I see it, and this is not as a moderator but as a concerned citizen, I believe more regulations are not the answer. We have so many regulations on the books now and adding more only adds more hands in the pot, so to speak.

The only people/companies/entities that follow regulations and laws are those who consider themselves law abiding and want to follow the laws. Not everyone is like that, so really, no matter the regulations, there are many who will skirt the laws and do what they want anyway.

There are already AMPLE regulations and laws on the books that would keep the country cleaner, or safer or whatever other descriptor can be added. The solution is not to keep adding more costly and intrusive regulations but to enforce the regulations already on the books. If those regulations were correctly and passionately enforced, things would be much better for all of us.

We can put all the rules on our kids that we want, but if we don't discipline them when they cross a line and instead, draw a new line for them, then we never really meant what we told them in the first place.

Anyway, to me, enforcement of existing rules goes a whole lot further than new rules.
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lewisfishing View Post
    I appreciate the civility so far...I hope it continues.

As I see it, and this is not as a moderator but as a concerned citizen, I believe more regulations are not the answer. We have so many regulations on the books now and adding more only adds more hands in the pot, so to speak.

The only people/companies/entities that follow regulations and laws are those who consider themselves law abiding and want to follow the laws. Not everyone is like that, so really, no matter the regulations, there are many who will skirt the laws and do what they want anyway.

There are already AMPLE regulations and laws on the books that would keep the country cleaner, or safer or whatever other descriptor can be added. The solution is not to keep adding more costly and intrusive regulations but to enforce the regulations already on the books. If those regulations were correctly and passionately enforced, things would be much better for all of us.

We can put all the rules on our kids that we want, but if we don't discipline them when they cross a line and instead, draw a new line for them, then we never really meant what we told them in the first place.

Anyway, to me, enforcement of existing rules goes a whole lot further than new rules.
    I agree with you for the most part. But we must acknowledge that situations change and new sources of pollution are created and new technologies are developed to address pollution. So the regulations should be modified accordingly. My point being that we should not just kill a regulation that we think is not perfect, we should work to clarify and modify it. The practice of ditching wetlands to turn it into farm land has gone on for a long time, but we now know it is a harmful practice, hence new regulations were needed as we gained a better understanding of our surroundings, so existing regulations are not always enough.

For the life of me I can not understand why environmental protection has become such a political issue, we all live on the same planet and therefore should have the same concerns. People more concerned about their wallet than the environment is just a foreign concept to me. Money won't do anyone much good when the food and water you drink and the air you breath is loaded with toxins.

There are already warnings in some areas about eating wild game and fish due to high levels of heavy metals and toxins, guess people will only become concerned when it directly affects them, but then it is too late.
    crabman00, EvBlue, and Spider Crack like this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

Blog Entries

I think it becomes an issue when people start losing their incomes and jobs over regulations that can be hastily made and unevenly enforced. You take people's money away, it makes a difference. Unfortunately, that happens a lot.

Also, the metal in the water already has regulations against it...has had them for quite a while, yet it continues to find it's way there. Goes back to the enforcement of the existing regs.

It would really be nice if, when a new regulation is proposed, they undergo due diligence and research what is on the books, how to adapt and apply what is needed and unwanted, keeping in mind the lives of the people affected, and pass something actually worth more than the paper it's written on.
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lewisfishing View Post
    I think it becomes an issue when people start losing their incomes and jobs over regulations that can be hastily made and unevenly enforced. You take people's money away, it makes a difference. Unfortunately, that happens a lot.

Also, the metal in the water already has regulations against it...has had them for quite a while, yet it continues to find it's way there. Goes back to the enforcement of the existing regs.

It would really be nice if, when a new regulation is proposed, they undergo due diligence and research what is on the books, how to adapt and apply what is needed and unwanted, keeping in mind the lives of the people affected, and pass something actually worth more than the paper it's written on.
    Think we are saying the same thing, we need regulations that are effective, executable and enforceable. In order for that to happen they need to be modified on an ongoing basis.

People need to stop listening to talking points with agendas and start thinking it through themselves. Also do not be petty and dislike a regulation just due the Administration that implemented it.
    Spider Crack likes this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

Blog Entries

Default Stream & River Anti-Pollution Laws Being Repealed

I think we are sorta kinda saying the same thing.

I think that if the existing rules were enforced, we wouldn't have to add much more to the mix.

I also think that too many rules tie the hands of businesses and when that happens, employees and customers lose.

I would like to see less regulation and more enforcement.

Common sense would dictate that pollution is unwarranted. You really don't have to write too many lines of regulation that would cover that.

Enforcement of that would make sure things stay relatively unpolluted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coal is dying, with or without regulation. So much cheap gas out there now it's hard to imagine coal ever being as competitive as it was even 10 years ago again. Why sacrifice clean water just to save a few union jobs and coal companies? It only delays the inevitable.
    Whitewater likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
    Coal is dying, with or without regulation. So much cheap gas out there now it's hard to imagine coal ever being as competitive as at it was even 10 years ago again. Why sacrifice clean water just to save a few union jobs and coal companies? It only delays the inevitable.
    My guess would be there is a politician or two with coal-black palms.
    Matt (Red X Angler)~ 2013 Hewes Redfisher 18, 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke, Ice Blue

We live in a state that has pretty much legislated for minimal environmental protection, i.e. state laws to be no more restrictive than Federal law. Now, if Federal regulations are stripped away, where does that leave us as a state?
    EvBlue, NCTribute, SnowCamp, and Whitewater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    My guess would be there is a politician or two with coal-black palms.

I would be interested to see if there was a politician that really did work in the coal mines. Now, a politician that received benefits from a coal lobbyist? I think you could find a few of those more easily.

Times are changing, population grows. It is life. Just like many of my friends parents and friends of my parents in the north east, if your industry is going under (auto and steel in the rust belt), you may need to look for a new job or get re-educated. Yes, it is a crappy situation, but last I checked we were granted life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.......I don't think there is anything mentioning a job...unless you want to explore another ideology.

Fact is renewable energy can help the environment and bring jobs. One thing I have learned in my recent scholastic endeavors brought on by a mid-life career change is that 1 gallon of gasoline turns into 20 gallons of CO2 when burned. Kinda hard to deny the impact when you see it laid out as a balanced chemical equation.
    crabman00 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12