Lake Oak Hollow

Thread: Oak Hollow

Thumbs up Oak Hollow

The bite was on Saturday morning at Oak Hollow Lake in High Point! I hadn't been here lately so we started out on a rocky bank where I usually was successful in years past...within the first 10 casts we had a 4 and a 7 pounder in the boat. (and the guy in the pics was a first-timer to this lake!) Stuck around there for a while and caught a few more smaller ones and 1 hybrid. Tried a few more similar areas and a couple of points further up the lake and managed to get a few more to the boat. They were all fat & healthy & hit crankbaits, but as usual with this lake, the bite switch turned off in the early afternoon. I'll never call this lake the "dead sea" again! Lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	17425045_10154663057231715_5374356227903985176_n.jpg‎
Views:	207
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	135202 Click image for larger version.

Name:	17499379_10154663057251715_3480104933750330511_n.jpg‎
Views:	190
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	135210

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

When I lived in Greensboro 20+ years ago my son and I, then 9, would fish Oak Hollow just about every Saturday. We even stayed at the campground several times---not sure I would do that these days. Never caught any hogs like that, but we always had a big time with the middle size hybrids. Back then every one in the are called them Bodie Bass, named in honor of the sportswriter.
    DW46 likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I would have never thought that some Hawgs like that were there congrats on the catch. Might head back over there this week and give it another go. Been 3 times and glad I was not trying to catch dinner or I would have starved to death. I do like kayaking that lake especially during the week not a lot of boats out there.
    DW46 likes this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice fish! Someone get this guy a Cover Blog Award!
    DW46 likes this.

Blog Entries

Done. Congrats on the Blog Award!
    DW46 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Solo Skiff Fisherman View Post
    I would have never thought that some Hawgs like that were ...
    Oak Hollow has no problem with fish size. I've caught one over 7 there and know for sure of one almost 10. Oak Hollow is just like City Lake or many of the smaller municipal lakes in that they are tough bites. It is like there is a magic switch and when its on you catch fish and when its off you struggle. I think in this case their small size hurts them. In a larger body of water you can run to someplace else where conditions might be different. These smaller lakes have about the same conditions all over (that's my theory at least). Oak Hollow, in particular is hard to fish because of all the pine deadfalls. You know fish use them but they are almost impossible to fish. Unless they are in a mood to come out and get your offering you struggle unless you find offshore fish. You can have fantastic days on these small lakes but my attitude when I go is I'm looking for 5 bites and I hope one is big.

To the OP - congrats on a fine day at the "dead sea"
    DW46 likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Sweet hoodie!
    AKA Cakalacka Bass Yaker on FB

It is like there is a magic switch and when its on you catch fish and when its off you struggle...

Yep, I think your theory is dead on with these lakes, and others like them. I've had days on Oak Hollow & HP City Lake where the fish were on most of the day, other days with just a few, and days where the boat smelled like skunk so bad I had to scrub it with tomato juice when I got home. Oak Hollow seems to have improved a bit the last few years, but I haven't fished old HP City Lake in a while since the nasty slimy black algae got so bad. Anyway, Saturday was great, and I'm glad we were able to find some good fish for my fishing pal's son-in-law up from South Carolina for the weekend. I think he was impressed!

That guy in the pics looks pretty familiar...nice bass!!
    Red X Angler
    There is always a way

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements