Big Carp Smackdown
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Carp Smackdown

Default Big Carp Smackdown

Went Carpin yesterday after work. Caught 10~ carp and 4 or 5 channel cats. Good day with a few big ones.

Bait- Sweetcorn with secret packbait on weight.
    Reels used- 2 shimano 3500 Baitrunners , 1 on 8' ugly stik and the other on 7 ft Ugly Stik Tiger- Daiwa Millionaire II 5000M on Abu 7' rod
    Line 16lb Momoi

The outing started slow but once they started coming in it was on. Had 2 doubles as well.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	North Carolina Carp 3758.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	137146

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Game on!!!

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

which pack bait weights do you use? I've been wanting to get some and give pack baits a try.
    Training for retirement since 1983

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome!!!
    Red X Angler
    There is always a way

So catching carp is just for the fun of it right? They aren't used for bait or eaten correct? Never caught one myself so just curious about them, I've heard they are a good fight.
    Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Blog Entries

Very nice, Mack. Despite your overly happy expression....congrats on the Blog Award!

Quote Originally Posted by sporkd2 View Post
    which pack bait weights do you use? I've been wanting to get some and give pack baits a try.
    I have some but I haven't tried them yet . I am just packing them on regular egg sinkers

Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF4072.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	137194Click image for larger version.

Name:	north carolina carp bait.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	137202

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    So catching carp is just for the fun of it right? They aren't used for bait or eaten correct? Never caught one myself so just curious about them, I've heard they are a good fight.
    If anyone likes surfcasting for Bull reds it is really the same thing . Same pull , just different baits.

Mack, that's a nice fish!

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    They aren't used for bait or eaten correct?
    They're a popular food fish in Asia. If you can find a carp that's not loaded down with PCBs or other nasty stuff, it might be worth giving them a try. I'd advise against keeping grass carp out of small ponds, though. Odds are good that somebody paid to have sterile fish stocked for weed control.
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Teach a child how to fish, and you'll have something in common forever.

Mack, that's a really pretty carp. Sometimes, I think they are kind of ugly, but that's a nice one.
    dbeam likes this.

There is a creek near my house absolutely filled with carp. I have tried fishing with bread, corn, etc. float fishing and dropping the bait on the bottom, but I have yet to catch one. Am I doing anything wrong/what is the best way to catch one...?

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Quote Originally Posted by fletchernc View Post
    There is a creek near my house absolutely filled with carp. I have tried fishing with bread, corn, etc. float fishing and dropping the bait on the bottom, but I have yet to catch one. Am I doing anything wrong/what is the best way to catch one...?
    Try chumming with what you are using for bait.

Darrell
    banjo, EvBlue, RouseD, and wademaster like this.

Red X Angler

It depends on how fast the water is flowing. If there are slow pools where you can see the fish, try tossing out some pieces of cheap white bread to see if they'll hit it on the surface. Hook a small, but sturdy hook into a piece of bread once they start to feed and lob it out in the middle (free line the bait without a weight). Wait until you see your piece disappear and the line move out, then reel tight and set the hook (and hold on, 'cause carp fight like hell, so make sure your drag is set properly).

If you have a bit of current, trying fishing on the bottom with some sweet corn. I use a simple fish finder rig with a 1/4 oz egg sinker, a small bead, then a swivel. Below I have about a 12" leader of 12 lb to 20 lb line (fluorocarbon is ideal, but regular mono is fine, too). A bait holder hook that you can fit 3 - 4 kernels of corn on should work fine. Toss it out, reel up the slack, and throw a handful of corn in the same area that your bait is in. If you put your rod in a rod holder, make sure the drag is loose enough so that the fish can run a bit. And be sure to have a net, as carp spook very easily and are hard to grab in the water. Good luck!

A real good pack bait to make is use 3 pounds instant grits,1 pack of strawberry jello powder, half a can of cream style corn,and half bottle of Good Home Brand almond flavoring. Mix the grits and jello powder together and then mix cream corn and almond flavoring together. Pour the cream corn mix into the grits mixture. Once this is mixed well start adding Sun-Drop until it packs good. Put a couple of corn pops on a hook and form your pack bait onto the pops. This works great on wild carp as well as jackpot ponds too.
    Pond Pounder, and wademaster like this.

i found a little pond yesterday and was catching some nice bass on worm. Switched to a crank bait and put on a 1.99 walmart special since didn't know what bottom was like and started tossing. Second cast SMACK and big swirl I am now thinking 10% bass since I had already pulled a solid 6 out of the pond earlier in the day. What a great fight that 15# carp game me, it grabbed the crank in its mouth and we had a wonderful glorious fight. Never heard of them hitting a crank, I have snagged a few in the past but tis was a great epic bite an fight battle.
    banjo likes this.

2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast