Have questions about buying a boat? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have questions about buying a boat?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venom17 View Post
    Use (2) 12v batteries in parallel. This will double you run time but still be only 12v.
    Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    Great information! Thanks. Found some diagrams.
    Interesting. Looks simple enough. I need a connecting cable for the two batteries, that's all? And just attach the trolling motor cables to the negative and positive posts, one on each battery?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wademaster View Post
    Interesting. Looks simple enough. I need a connecting cable for the two batteries, that's all? And just attach the trolling motor cables to the negative and positive posts, one on each battery?
    Pretty sure you're still just connecting to the neg and pos terminals of one battery from trolling motor, second battery connected to first battery only. Can somebody confirm please?
    wademaster likes this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Use the second photo. remember (+)positive to (+)positive and (-) negative to (-) negative when connecting the (2) batteries together. If you hook (+) positive to (-) negative when connecting the batteries it will double the voltage but have the same run time(AH).
    quest4reds likes this.

FOR HE GAVE HIS TO SAVE MAN'S SOUL _____ I WOULD GIVE MINE TO SET MAN FREE---RED X ANGLER

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Google image 12 volt batteries in parallel.
    FOR HE GAVE HIS TO SAVE MAN'S SOUL _____ I WOULD GIVE MINE TO SET MAN FREE---RED X ANGLER

Blog Entries

Very neat. I'll look into this and likely purchase a second battery. This thread is already paying off!
    quest4reds likes this.

Blog Entries

Yes...only need a short pair of cables to attach the posts of one battery to the next. Then attach the tm cables to one of the batteries.

In parallel, positive to positive and negative to negative. This keeps the same voltage, longer run time as mentioned before.

As in a flashlight, positive to negative is series and adds voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wademaster likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Here ya go.

Blog Entries

Here ya go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Untitled.png‎
Views:	122
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	137818
    Green Gator, quest4reds, and wademaster like this.

Blog Entries

Got it. I need another battery and a short set of connector cables then. I'll get right on it. Only once have I ran completely out of juice on the water. This method should last for a long while.

You are correct Q4R. Batteries will connect +to+ & -to-. Then the trolling motor leads will attach to one battery, +/red to +, -/black to -. That will put 12VDC with double the power storage. You can hook up your fish finder to the same battery as well. Just make sure you are using inline fuse holders to protect the circuit. If there are additional items (lights, radios etc..) you should look at a fused panel to make connections simpler.
    quest4reds, and wademaster like this.

Good things come to those who bait...
    Kevin,
    Proud Red X Angler

Blog Entries

When doing this, make sure the batteries are deep cycle...actually, any time you are using batteries that will be drained over a period of time before recharging, use deep cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kevcoachk, and wademaster like this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by wademaster View Post
    I have a question regarding trolling motors. Do many people take two batteries when their boat is only operated via battery-powered trolling motor? It seems this would help in case the battery died. If not, what's the best option? That happened to me once - it was a tough day.
    Good question, it happens and sucks... After running out of battery on my trolling motor powered boat the first time, I was on the verge of buying another battery, but then I came across a small 1.5hp gas motor (think weedwacker with a prop) that only weighs 20lbs.

I decided to go for another motor versus another battery mainly because it's so much less weight. I mount the two motors side by side, I use the gas to get where I want to fish, then the trolling motor when fishing.

Blog Entries

I've considered a gas motor, however lots of places I frequent are electric only.

My boat word of advice: I had an 18 foot bowrider which has no cabin but has seats up front in the bow... hence "Bowrider". It was neat and easy to take out all by myself if I wanted. Then I sold it and bought a 23 foot cabin cruiser. Nice boat with a little cabin up front and a portapotty and a little sink. It had a tandem axle trailer and was heavier than the 18 foot and I sold my Ford Explorer and got a new F150 which towed it fine. Fishing was great with both of those boats.

Then I sold the 24 foot and bought a 32 foot sedan flybridge. A sedan has a big living room area (a salon) and a couple births (little bedrooms) and a kitchen and a real bathroom with shower and all that and a flybridge is a cockpit up high that you climb a ladder to get to. I think the electronics for the cockpit are worth as much as the boat once you end up with radar and all that.

The 32 has a 10 foot beam and I really can't trailer it so it lives at a slip (a wood finger off a dock with a big hole in the water next to it that you throw money into). The 32 is just big enough that it's really hard for one person to handle undoing all the stuff and then docking and redoing all the lines and stuff. Fishing off this one stinks. Fishing room is limited all the stuff that makes life aboard "nice". Thinking about going back to an 18 foot bowrider... that was the most practical boat for fishing and just plain fun. And it didn't cost $600 to fill it up.

Moral... think about what boat you really want before getting it and then stay with it. Bigger is not always better.
    Daze823, Greenmonster, and quest4reds like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast