Have questions about buying a boat? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have questions about buying a boat?

Ok, here's one that I should have known, but overlooked in my own boat possibly causing me some battery issues. Make sure you periodically check your battery's water level and fill with distilled water as needed. There will be two 'caps' on the top of the battery that pop off and will allow you to fill each cylinder with water.

Here is the important stuff regarding low water levels in your battery:
    1) As there is no water, the formation of salts has progressed to completion without any water for dissolving them. This means that there is no formation of ions and no transporters of electric current inside the cells and hence there is no possible conduction.
    2)
    If you recharge the battery now, it is going to become hot. Either the battery is going to explode or catch fire, as you are now pumping electricity into the battery for charging, without any electrolytes to carry the current inside the battery between the Anode and Cathode. Now you are inviting danger, with a sure recipe for disaster.

FILL UP TO THE DESIRED LEVEL WITH DISTILLED WATER. WAIT FOR A FEW MINUTES (IF THE WATER IS ABLE TO DISSOLVE SOME OF THE SALTS AND PROVIDE AN ELECTROLYTE FOR CONDUCTION) AND THEN TRY TO CHARGE THE BATTERY WITH CAUTION. IF IT BECOMES HOT, ABANDON YOUR EFFORT AT ONCE AND LEAVE IT TO AN EXPERT TO TRY. IF THE BATTERY IS NON SERVICEABLE, YOU HAVE TO CONDEMN IT.

And if you want more information on how your battery works: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-i...s-out-of-water
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	deep-cycle battery.jpg‎
Views:	45
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	139954 Click image for larger version.

Name:	battery fill cylinders.jpg‎
Views:	34
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	139946
    Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Some propeller information:

Not All Props Are The Same!
    Size — Prop size is described by referring to diameter and pitch. Diameter is twice the distance from the center of the hub to the tip of any blade. Generally smaller diameter props correspond with smaller engines and boats, while larger diameter props correspond with larger boats. Pitch is the forward movement of a boat propeller through one complete revolution measured in inches. Lowering prop pitch will increase acceleration and pulling power. A higher pitch prop will make a boat go faster as long as the engine has enough power to keep the rpms in the optimum range. If the engine doesn't produce enough power to run a higher pitch prop all performance suffers and engine damage can result. So - select the prop size that lets your engine operate at WOT within its correct rpm range.

Number of Blades — When the number of blades are changed, diameter and pitch may require a minimal adjustment to keep the RPMs in the proper range. For most purposes, 3 and 4-blade boat propellers can be used interchangeably on outboards and sterndrives without much of a change in performance

Material — propellers made of composite, aluminum, and stainless steel. Composite boat props offer good performance, are durable, and inexpensive. They also offer some protection for your lower unit during a prop strike. Aluminum props are the most common and are suitable for the widest range of applications since there are so many models and styles available. Stainless steel props offer the highest performance and best durability.
    Weight Flex Repair Cost
    Composite Boat Propeller Least Little Not Possible Least
    Aluminum Boat Propeller Medium Little Easy Medium
    Stainless Steel Boat Propeller Greatest Least Difficult Greatest

Cupped Boat Propellers — Special curved trailing edges enable the prop to maintain performance at highertrim levels and in tight corners. Cupped boat props allow most boats to achieve a higher top-end speed or at least the same speed at a lower engine RPM. They also promote more efficient fuel consumption.

Wide Open Throttle (WOT) rpm Range — When selecting a boat prop, the goal is to choose one that allows the engine to reach its optimal WOT. This is generally between 5000 and 5500 rpm for outboards, 4400 to 4800 for sterndrives, depending on engine type. This information is included in the owner’s manual of a new boat or engine.

Replacement Considerations

If your current prop’s performance is acceptable (WOT is within manufacturer’s guidelines) -- Choose a replacement prop that is very similar to the diameter and pitch of your current boat prop. You might consider upgrading to a different material such as stainless steel or trying a 4-blade prop instead of a 3 blade.

If your current prop is unsatisfactory — What if your engine operates at the wrong rpm at WOT? Pitch and rpm have an inverse relationship. Increasing pitch reduces rpm and reducing pitch increases rpm. A 1" change in pitch will usually result in a 200 RPM change in engine speed. Therefore, if your engine operates below the optimum proper rpm, you should consider a boat propeller with less pitch. If your engine over-revs, consider increasing the pitch.
    Example: Your sterndrive tach limit (red line or rpm limit) is 4800. Your motor at WOT with full trim only turns 4300 rpm. Buy a prop with 2 less pitch to bring it up within 100 rpm ofyour tach limit. Your acceleration will improve and your top end will stay the same or improve because your engine puts out more power closer to its rev limit.

You might also consider changing the propeller size to affect a specific performance attribute. A lower-pitch power prop makes it easier to pop skiers out of the water. Tournament bass boats may need more top end speed and should use a boat prop with a higher pitch. Houseboats and cruisers care more about efficiency at displacement speeds, therefore they require a lower pitch to achieve low-end power and the largest diameter their lower unit can handle.
    wademaster likes this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

First step when buying an older boat is get a compression tester, learn how to use it, and know the good number for the engine you are checking out.
    quest4reds likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Venom17 View Post
    Here ya go.
    Thanks!! This helps me a lot!! At 78 just getting a new boat. Live right on the Pamlico River but have not had one in over 35 years. I have been Kayak fishing but it's getting more difficult all the time especially with the heat Have forgotton so much!! May I PM you if I have other questions? Promise I won't bombard you!
    That, that is, is. That, that is not, is not. Is it?

Green Gator, if this is for me then yes you can. Might not have the answers but I know a few ppl and we will sure get you something.
    FOR HE GAVE HIS TO SAVE MAN'S SOUL _____ I WOULD GIVE MINE TO SET MAN FREE---RED X ANGLER

Thanks Venom! I pick up my boat on the 10th. Hope I get good enough demo that I wont have too many questions.
    That, that is, is. That, that is not, is not. Is it?

Hey Guys. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions if I can put 12" tires on a small boat trailer that has 8" tires? I am getting close to finishing building what I call an old school "Carolina boat". It is 13 feet 10 inches on top and about a foot shorter on the bottom. It is 35 inches at it's widest point on the bottom and probably a foot wider on top. I think I want 12" tires as I will be making occasional trips from the Raleigh area to Hyde county. AK Mcallum has a Load Rite trailer, model #1480057w that seems to be the perfect size if it had 12" tires. They have been very frustrating to deal with on the phone. The salesman has repeatedly said he would find out if they would fit but will not call me back. Any ideas?

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123