Freshwater Windy - Muddy - Flooded 4/26/2017
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windy - Muddy - Flooded 4/26/2017

Blog Entries

Default Windy - Muddy - Flooded 4/26/2017

Dropped little man off this morning and had the boat on the water by 8:30. Started off very slowly. This little lake was 8-10 ft higher only a couple days ago. The torrential rainfall has left it very muddy, still high, and full of debris (trash, logs, etc.).

I reached an island that castman and I had picked up a couple dozen fish around last week and finally caught a bass around 2lbs. A beautiful crappie and bluegill eventually came out to play. Wind direction kept changing and blowing me all over the place. I packed it up after 3 hours and loaded the boat. Picking up my son early is always a treat.

An odd fact - 4 trips in a row now with zero pickerels. I go here at times and catch a half dozen in one trip. Interesting.

I've gotten on the sun protection bandwagon as I've been burnt too badly way too often. Gloves and a hood/mask have been added to my tackle box as a staple. Today was the first time using these items. They aren't really hot, but if I cover my nose with the mask it makes my sunglasses fog up as I breathe. Haha. Other than that my ears and face are all covered. Hopefully my cap helps protect the nose. Sunscreen may be a must.

Good fishin'.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hate i couldn't be there. I love fishing after hard rains. The sun protection sounds like a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wademaster likes this.

Blog Entries

Forgot to mention the bail piece falling off my brand new reel. Gander Mountain is going to replace it. I hope....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Castman77 View Post
    Hate i couldn't be there. I love fishing after hard rains. The sun protection sounds like a great idea.

Sunday is hopefully going to be much better weather than originally forecasted.
    Castman77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wademaster View Post
    Sunday is hopefully going to be much better weather than originally forecasted.
    That's good news for sure. Pickerel will definitely be on the radar.

wademaster likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Castman77 View Post
    That's good news for sure. Pickerel will definitely be on the radar.

Always on the radar!

Healthy looking fish. Nice variety.
    Not sure how you been fishing, but I have always done well with inline spinners around heavy grass/pads at this time of year.
    Smart move on sun protection.
    wademaster likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crabman00 View Post
    Healthy looking fish. Nice variety.
    Not sure how you been fishing, but I have always done well with inline spinners around heavy grass/pads at this time of year.
    Smart move on sun protection.
    Different ways. Just varies. At times we troll some cranks. Other times we're fishing minnows/nightcrawlers under a float around brush/cover. When the hang-ups aren't so problematic we may fish a small piece of shot above the bait. What I'm looking forward to is learning to find and target fish that are suspended rather than just fishing shoreline and obvious cover.
    crabman00 likes this.

Good day to get out there and nice catching on a few species....nice crappie too!!

Smart move on the Sun Protection and my Dermatologist always checks me out thoroughly on my semi-annual visits.
    I have a Tilley Hat that REALLY helps keep the sun off my face, ears, neck and nose, and I slather on the sun screen products she recommends....and "try" to wear long pants and long sleeved shirts too, altho I find them pretty hot.
    Good report and full sized pix too which is GREAT to see in this website!!!
    JYJ
    PS: What brand and model of reel did you use that "lost" its bail????
    GreyGhost likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYaksJax View Post
    Good day to get out there and nice catching on a few species....nice crappie too!!

Smart move on the Sun Protection and my Dermatologist always checks me out thoroughly on my semi-annual visits.
    I have a Tilley Hat that REALLY helps keep the sun off my face, ears, neck and nose, and I slather on the sun screen products she recommends....and "try" to wear long pants and long sleeved shirts too, altho I find them pretty hot.
    Good report and full sized pix too which is GREAT to see in this website!!!
    JYJ
    PS: What brand and model of reel did you use that "lost" its bail????
    I've decided to always wear a cool, quick dry type of long sleeve shirt and pant from here on out.

The reel was part of a combo. It's a Gander Mountain brand Timberline combo. Going to get a replacement during the next few days.
    GreyGhost likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I have been trying to protect myself from the sun. I bought some SPF 50 long sleeve light weight fast drying tee shirts last year and I wear a large brim hat. Also have the face shield for when I wear a Ball cap.
    wademaster likes this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

With the materials these days, we have it easy to cover up. The face and head is the only part that I really hate. I'm sure there are some very goofy looking solutions that work fantastic, but I'm not sure if I'm at recumbent bicycle stages of my life yet.

I, too, go with the long sleeves and the long pants. It's kind of like the PFD, you get used to it. A little more heat isn't that big a deal, as long as you stay hydrated.
    wademaster likes this.

Nice work getting out there and catching some fish in the chocolate milk left over from all the rain. As for the face mask, most of them cause the fogging of your glasses, but I recently switched to the Gilz brand instead of Buff and it breaths better through the vent in front and fogging rarely happens if it's positioned correctly.
    wademaster likes this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    Nice work getting out there and catching some fish in the chocolate milk left over from all the rain. As for the face mask, most of them cause the fogging of your glasses, but I recently switched to the Gilz brand instead of Buff and it breaths better through the vent in front and fogging rarely happens if it's positioned correctly.
    Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast