Freshwater Personal Best Brown - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Best Brown

Thank you! Next year, if anybody would be willing to hike the 4 miles up Snowbird to the brook trout waters, I could use some company. No one in my party is really able to do the walk, and it's been 2 years now that I haven't made it up. This year there was a rescue going on up there; a 60 year old woman and her 13 year old granddaughter were lost for 48 hours up there. Tracing the route she's said to have taken, both women must have been part goat! Rough country up there if you get off trail...
    badankles, and dbeam like this.

Lifelong fishing nut. Wish I was fishin, instead of wishing!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sekod, you're alive😎...

Very jealous. I've not fished my namesake in four years, or flung a fly since Christmas.
    Red X angler

Nice looking holdover.
    basswrangler, and wademaster like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not a holdover. All wild stream. I'd name the stream, but I'm not going to.
    Tom! We need to fish together again! You came to Tillery last time. Maybe a wild trout stream? (South Mills, maybe? I've seen bigger browns than mine there!).
    If not, I live on Badin Lake now, and have 6 kayaks, so you won't have to row a pontoon around!
    Those huge shellcrackers are calling your name!
    slickrocktom likes this.

It's a wild stream with stockers downstairs; there's guide shop private water, club water and public hatchery supported water scattered all over the drainages you were fishing. Fish can't read the signs, but they swim just fine. Trust me, stocked fish roam widely in NC outside of the officially designated stocker stretches. Signage is not a reliable indicator of the origin of individual fish.

Be that as it may, this particular stream is a strictly wild stream. No stocked water downstream, except a lake with a waterfall that separates it and keeps it segregated.
    I'm 100% confident this fish was wild.
    Daze823 likes this.

That "barrier" fall isn't preventing fish from moving in and out of Calderwood if they want to. Stocked fish can and do get into the creek (I've caught them), and the drought with its consequent reduction in generation into the lake (which drove up temps substantially last summer) was just the stimulus to push them up the feeders. I understand your excitement about this fish, and, truth be told, it's probably much more difficult to catch a feral stocker than an equivalent wild fish, but that fish looks like a stocker. It's colored like a stocker, it has a low dorsal like a stocker and facial abrasions typical of fish raised in a concrete tank. It's possible that's a wild fish, but unlikely.

Very nice brown, sekod!

That would be cool. They're slowly trying to kill me at work, at one point I had over 200 hours of comp time. Used it to bear hunt. I'll never forget that Shellcracker.....I thought I hooked a small striper. The Pitt bull you befriended with your lunch was memorable, also.
    Red X angler

Tom, at Tuckertown every year, a few 2-1/2- 3 pound shellcrackers come out. Posted pics at Hwy 49 Sporting Goods.
    No fooling, let's fish together again soon! I know I'll be up in Cherokee in September, maybe before then we can make the trip you, Mike, and I tried to do that icy day they had the Parkway shut down, and we went to DuPont State Forest instead...those big brookies still need some attention!
    dbeam, and slickrocktom like this.

Last year's big fish...definitely a holdover, or one of those mythical Lake Santeetlah steelhead; gave me more trouble than this year's brown! :-)
    This year marks 50 years catching trout, bass, bream, and catfish in NC. Thank you to all the old guys who taught me to fish for each in his turn, all now fishing in heaven...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20160530_184817.jpg‎
Views:	83
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	147169
    dbeam, NewYakker, and slickrocktom like this.

Beautiful fish in beautiful country...I hiked and fished most of those creeks you listed back in early 80's when in Gunsmith School in Troy with some fellow students.
    Thanks for sharing and bringing back those memories!
    The Ten Commandments are not suggestions.

Hey man, nice fish. Is the middle falls and upper falls accessible for a daily hike? Going with my buddy in two weeks. Usually just fish the lower ends but want to try out some natural waters this time. How is the hike to navigate?

Quote Originally Posted by Mdebolt44 View Post
    Hey man, nice fish. Is the middle falls and upper falls accessible for a daily hike? Going with my buddy in two weeks. Usually just fish the lower ends but want to try out some natural waters this time. How is the hike to navigate?
    I sent you a PM. Hike is really not bad to get to Middle Falls (worth the view- about 6-1/2 miles or so hike from Junction to Middle Falls). 600 foot elevation gain in 6 miles isn't bad (especially comparing it to Linville Gorge- anywhere from a mile to a mile and a half to gain 1000 feet). You can make it to Middle Falls and back in a long day, but anywhere from Mouse Knob on up is good brookie water.
    I sent you a PM- consider your options! ☺ Spring is really the best time to hit Upper Big Snowbird- there are better, easier options available this time of year. (We're making a winter trip to Robbinsville the first weekend in December).
    dbeam likes this.

Appreicate the responses man! So this fall you thinking fishing around the picnic areas is best. Just starting at like the first picnic are and fishing upstream with rooster tails would do the trick

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast