NC Angler Forums banner

First Fly

Tying 
8K views 67 replies 12 participants last post by  YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER 
#1 ·
Well guys this is my first fly that I have tied and I'm proud of that baby.. its on now and I can;'t wait to get to the Tarheel Fly Tying Clinic on the 17th.,,,,yep I'm amped....:eek:

I've watched fly tying threads, how to's, videos and such all week and I was amped up when the FedX man left me my present on the front porch. I ordered a White River Saltwater Beginner Fly Tying Kit from BassPro shop for 59.95...it had more stuff in the kit than show in the pics...

I busted open the package, threw a hook in the vise and went to work. I already had in my mind what types and color patterns I want to tie..I started piecing this together rather quickly and it turned out OK.

So here is the first of many I hope to tie..might be a tad more color on one side than the other....I was to charged up to slow down. Thing is I know or read that keep a check on both sides of the fly and losely tie and check the fly B4 tying it up tight...

<*)))))>{

See less See more
#42 ·
Scott... I have boxes full of flys for stripers. You are welcome anytime to come by and look at them. Chart/white always works. I tie on 1/0 to 5/0 hooks and flys up to 7 in. long. I also have some great books on striper flys. Look online for striper flys and print off the recipe. Open invitation for anytime you want to come out in the country.

Charlie

#43 ·
Thanks Charlie and Allen....I'll look up the striper flies right now in a minute....

Then I'll try and make some...I'm using 3/0 short shank hooks......

I like the bright flies, it just makes em light up, especially the charteuses and such....

How about circle hooks..I have a lot of red 5/0 circle hooks that I use on carolina rigs...would they work the same on flies...??

Might have to try a few...:)

Thanks again fellows..

<*)))))>{

#50 ·
We;ll get together one day..fishing tomorrow and next Tue is the 17 for Allens house fly tying clinic....I'll be there...I'll bring some that I have tied and get some reviews on how to improve on what i'm doing.

Maybe I won't have to many bad habits to break by then...:)

Tim...pierman....what do you think of the 2 bottom left for reds....:)

#52 ·
Good Golly Scott,
Slow down or your fingers are gonna fall off ;)

Scott and Tim,
The orange/black clouser that I tied and the one Brian Horsley tied are exactly the same except that I laid a little bit of copper crystal flash on top of the fly before I did the final head wrap. They look different because his is wet. They are super easy to tie and fish love em. You could tie clousers in a few sizes and colors and catch every fish out there. Here's a few variations:

Drum: 808 color pattern and grey/white w/ copper flash in a size 1 or 1/0 hook, about 3" long

Trout: solid white clouser with gold flash size 2 or 1 hook is my fav
chart/white, pink/white, and chart/pink are great too. If it's cold and they're biting short, try a shorter clouser

Flounder: 808, tan/white or grey/white

Blues, spanish, jacks and ladyfish: pink over white is the bomb in a size 1 or 2 (sparse and about 2-3"), also chart/ white, pink/chart, solid white work well.

Stripers: chart/white clouser in 1/0 about 3-4" long is the standard

shad will tear up a little size 4 clouser in pink/white, etc

I generally like bucktail clousers unless we're in a mess of blues or spanish, then I'll switch to synthetic material to lengthen the flies life. I use a lot of other flies and colors, but could survive on just clousers. Most people are more concerned about flies than they are about casting, presentation and locating fish.
it should be the other way around.

oh yeah, if your not using any head cement, run to the dollar store and grab a bottle of Sally Henson's hard as nails and put it on your thread wraps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.