NC Angler Forums banner

First Fly

Tying 
8K views 67 replies 12 participants last post by  YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER 
#1 ·
Well guys this is my first fly that I have tied and I'm proud of that baby.. its on now and I can;'t wait to get to the Tarheel Fly Tying Clinic on the 17th.,,,,yep I'm amped....:eek:

I've watched fly tying threads, how to's, videos and such all week and I was amped up when the FedX man left me my present on the front porch. I ordered a White River Saltwater Beginner Fly Tying Kit from BassPro shop for 59.95...it had more stuff in the kit than show in the pics...

I busted open the package, threw a hook in the vise and went to work. I already had in my mind what types and color patterns I want to tie..I started piecing this together rather quickly and it turned out OK.

So here is the first of many I hope to tie..might be a tad more color on one side than the other....I was to charged up to slow down. Thing is I know or read that keep a check on both sides of the fly and losely tie and check the fly B4 tying it up tight...

<*)))))>{

See less See more
#53 ·
johnmauser

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID THAT BETTER MYSELF...CASTING & PRESENTATION IS VERY IMPORTANT. WELL SAID ON THE COLOR SCHEME FOR THE CLOUSERS. CLOUSERS DO CATCH ALOT OF FISH & ARE VERY EASY TO TIE. MR. CRAPPIE LOVES CLOUSERS TOO...WHAT FISH DOESN'T...RIGHT...LOL. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

#54 ·
JohnMauser....thank you sir for some guidance on color schemes for fishing....I don't have
any bronze or copper colors but thats on my list of things to get..I am using the head cement
that came with my kit....there was right much materials in that kit...more than I realize..
bet I can tie another 30-50 flies out of that box..great kit..just not the best vise....gotta get
another one..little better...:)

What size is a good size for eyes...???????

<*)))))>{

#55 ·
No problem,
glad to help anytime you have a question. Usually for the smaller clousers, I'll throw on some 5/32 lead eyes, medium clousers get 3/16, and I've got some 7/32 for big clousers or ones that I want to get down real quick. Also when tying clousers, if you put too much material on the bottom, the fly will swim upside down, making you think you need heavier eyes, even when you don't. I also like the big bead chain eyes for clousers in shallow water. They look big like a mullets eyes but don't weigh much.

Another thing, I use mustad 34007 hooks for most of my flies because they are cheap. But hooks like these are super dull out of the pack. Get yourself a little hook file and sharpen those things before you tie on them, it'll really help with hookups.

#57 ·
Here's a few of my favorites. The slinky fiber baitfish works on everything from big stripers to dink trout, just vary the size to match. These flies are also tied with polar fiber, I'm sure you've heard of the polar fiber minnow aka big eye fly. The surf candy and the whitebait mushy are both synthetic epoxy flies, they work great on albies, bonito, blues, spanish and anything else that eats silversides. The crease fly is a blast on blues but everything from drum to albies will eat them. The rattle shrimp is a good drum fly, I usually tie these in natural colors. The little shad flies are all you'll need this spring for the hickories. They also work great on spanish. If you want to know how to tie any of these, let me know. Goodluck on your journey.

#59 ·
scoot i like those 2 you pointed out and john how does that cease fly work on drum? Those i would love to try out for sure since i did get my frist surfsce drum on a chug bug ive always been a fan off poppers up north here for bass and brim ;) smallies love poppers :)

#64 ·
. They're not obnoxiously loud like a popper, but they push enough water to get a fishes attention. Another good topwater for drum and trout is a deer hair diver.
thanks for the reply john,i know they dont have to be real loud on the water as long as they get the attetion of the fish,im dieing to get my flyrod and get back home to start fishin it ;)

#65 ·
10-4 Tim.....I can here the whisper of the reds on Queens Creek just a chanting...mon back Tim...:)

Well get some double whammy fly rods going when you return....hit em where it hurts the most..in da mouth...:):)

I still have to get some orange and black materials to make those nice looking red drum clousers...I
have some material but it is short hair...will get some at the next place that has it....might have to order it
on line to insure I get what I want....:)

<*)))))>{

#66 ·
Scott---Man, you're on a roll and doing good work. You need to check out some of the craft and women's wig departments for supplies--don't forget the bead dept at Wally World-- probably need some nail polish--Guarantee you will meet some very interesting people while shopping for supplies:D-- I have tales as good as fishing stories about shopping these places:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.