NC Angler Forums banner

First Fly

Tying 
8K views 67 replies 12 participants last post by  YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER 
#1 ·
Well guys this is my first fly that I have tied and I'm proud of that baby.. its on now and I can;'t wait to get to the Tarheel Fly Tying Clinic on the 17th.,,,,yep I'm amped....:eek:

I've watched fly tying threads, how to's, videos and such all week and I was amped up when the FedX man left me my present on the front porch. I ordered a White River Saltwater Beginner Fly Tying Kit from BassPro shop for 59.95...it had more stuff in the kit than show in the pics...

I busted open the package, threw a hook in the vise and went to work. I already had in my mind what types and color patterns I want to tie..I started piecing this together rather quickly and it turned out OK.

So here is the first of many I hope to tie..might be a tad more color on one side than the other....I was to charged up to slow down. Thing is I know or read that keep a check on both sides of the fly and losely tie and check the fly B4 tying it up tight...

<*)))))>{

See less See more
#3 ·
I do believe a big old largemouth bass would love to get her lips around that one...
.it is in the traditional blue/yellow of bluegill...but don't put it past a red drum or speckled trout,
they will roll up on it also...

I still have a lot of bass fishing savy but just don't do it any more....so I willl tie a lot of
flies to mimic the baitfish that largemouth bass, speckled trout and red drum will feed on..since
they all occupy the same space in most New Bern and area waters...

Other colors like Hot mustard,.....brown and charteuse....blue and white.....tequila and sunrise...
.just checking to see if you are reading......add some silver flash to these colors and make
some great patterns

<*)))))>{

#6 ·
..might be a tad more color on one side than the other....{
So, Scott, with lopsided colors the bass will probably think the fly is somehow challenged and go after it. :)

Good looking fly you have there. Look forward to seeing some more.

#8 ·
You have been holding out on us , we are going to make you a featured tier. I did not know you were that good . It is a very good job on fly tying. You left out one important species ... Take them to New Bern on March 7th,I could see a 24 inch striper tied on the end of your fly!!!!! Allen

#10 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words....but I'm a big boy and take criticism very well...let me see if I can find
that new box of bullets...:eek:

Forrest I am a long way and many years experience behind you but thanks...
Sound good with the stripers also...almost forgot about them .:D

I will need to buy some stock in Eagle Claw hooks.....I plan on burning em up next week when I'm home alone...

<*)))))>{

#17 ·
Scott..i smell the thread burning on the hooks..lol
you're burning them up already. Good job on your first ties. I am proud of you..you didn't have any help other than watching videos...very nice job. Any self respecting hungry fish would eat those flies. If not just stick your head under the water & tell them to kiss your hook..lol..!!!

Very nice work..keep it up ..eddie

#19 ·
10-4 Tim....let me get the pattern down and some materials in the colors we need and
we'll never be out of em again...:) I need to find some brown, black and gold fibers...to tie with....

Well have plenty of 808, charteuse/blue, charteuse/white, green/charteuse,
green/white....what ever we think they will be hitting on that given day..:)

How did I forget ....Pink/charteuse, pink/blue, pink/red, pink/white and pink and pink
and pink....oh yea I like pink in the salt...

<*)))))>{

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.