Freshwater Northern Pike tips

Thread: Northern Pike tips

Default Northern Pike tips

So I'm right outside St. Paul, MN for work for a week or so. Never been fishing for Northern. Brought a whopper plopper, a spoon, spinner, hula popper, and a frog with my collapsible rod. Unfortunately that sucker couldn't handle the 110 plopper and the tip broke last night. So I just went to Cabelas and got a nice medium 7' 4 piece rod.

But now I need tips from anyone that has them. No boat access. Evening fishing. Very clear water and tons of submerged and floating vegetation.

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What kind of spoon and spinner do you have? I try them first along vegetation edges.

Do you know if the lake you are fishing has lots of small pike (under 9 lbs) or bigger fish ( 9 lbs plus)? During the summer bigger fish prefer cooler/colder water.

Make sure you have a good leader or pike could cut your line, especially the big ones. Avoid the cheap Eagle Claw leaders. They are junk.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    What kind of spoon and spinner do you have? I try them first along vegetation edges.

Do you know if the lake you are fishing has lots of small pike (under 9 lbs) or bigger fish ( 9 lbs plus)? During the summer bigger fish prefer cooler/colder water.

Make sure you have a good leader or pike could cut your line, especially the big ones. Avoid the cheap Eagle Claw leaders. They are junk.

Good luck.
    Had a 5" Lake Fork spoon that was lost to thick weeds. Have a single hook "weedless" silver minnow spoon. Spinner is a KVD 1/2 oz in white and chartreuse. Have some nice 12" leaders as well.

Based on what I'm seeing through online searches, I only expect the smaller northern from shore and pier on the lakes I have access to. I'd be perfectly content with a 7lb northern before I leave.

Thanks for the tips!!

gambusia likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If your having trouble fishing lures due to the weeds, try live bait. Sucker chubs work the best. Use a steel leader. I have used "quick set" rigs. But if you use a single hook, give them a minute (or a few) to take it before setting the hook.

I've had the best luck with 5"-6" stick baits, slashing them through the water, but again, weeds will make that a problem.

Good luck!
    gambusia, and SnowCamp like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

BrandonK likes this.

Red X Angler

Don't hesitate to try a white spinnerbait.

They are more weedless than a treble hook spinner.
    BrandonK, and Mechanic Bob like this.

Got a baby but I don't care. I caught one.

bfishy, and gambusia like this.

When I was up in Quetico Provincial Park, Canada a couple of years ago, we caught them on the same lures we were using for smallmouths, but mostly anything topwater, Zoom super flukes and senkos. We were trying to avoid them and couldn't. The first 10-15 were fun, then I had enough. The funniest thing was we were fishing from canoes and we had one close to 15 lbs jump in the lap of my fishing partner in the front of the canoe. I have never seen anyone try to walk on water like he did to get away from it.
    BrandonK likes this.

Nice! Good ol' stick bait. Never fails, even with the young ones.
    BrandonK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCfishingKing View Post
    Nice! Good ol' stick bait. Never fails, even with the young ones.
    30 years annual pike trip around Memorial Day used mostly suspending stick baits. Fished color breaks in 8-15 ft. Never used a steel leader. Heavy mono works just fine. Sometimes rigged a jerk shad rigged weedless around weedy shoreline.

I am a southern angler that has done a bit of northern pike fishing in Canada, Wisconsin and Ireland. This time of year, the large pike (10 lbs.) will be on deep weedbeds unless you have a good cloudy, rainy day. I found the most effective way to fish for big pike with a spinning rod is with a large spoon, like a Dardeve Husky. The yellow with red "5 of diamonds" and fire tiger have been my best colors. Contrary to tradition, I have never done much with the classic red and white spoons. Other large lures that will attach large pike are hard to retrieve on a spinning rod.

That said, you can have ball with the smaller pike (2-5 lbs and maybe larger) using regular bass baits for weedbeds including topwater, with a preference to weedless spoon and spinnerbaits.
    Good luck.
    Jackfish
    BrandonK likes this.

If you decide to use daredevils, slow your retrieval. They were designed to be used with lower ratio reels than we use now. I've caught most of my northerns with light swim baits as trailers on whites spinning baits

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Mechanic Bob likes this.

All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover
    Red X Angler

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements