City Lake 7/3/17: 2 bites, 11+ lbs of bass
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Lake 7/3/17: 2 bites, 11+ lbs of bass

Default City Lake 7/3/17: 2 bites, 11+ lbs of bass

I haven't been on Randleman since April. I've had my truck in the shop for transmission problems and had to travel for work. I took Monday off and this was the day, or so I thought. Apparently my truck also has a slow coolant leak which I didn't know about until it severely overheated about 3 miles down the road. Took me an hour to get it back home and get filled up. My afternoon was getting short on time and I didn't trust the truck so I diverted close to home and City Lake. I'm glad the truck overheated.

I normally head up the East Fork arm but this time I went up the Penny Road side because there was some deep wood with shade I wanted to try. This got me no bites so I decided to go all the way up the creek under the Penny Road bridge thinking skinny water means fewer places to hide. I was working up the sunny side of the creek throwing a variety of lures. Got a follow from a nice bowfin on a spinnerbait so I kept throwing it thinking I could at least catch a bowfin. A few minutes later I cast to a very shady hole under a tree and got bit on the spinnerbait. Thought there is my bowfin. It started taking drag and I thought it's a big bowfin. Then I saw it and it wasn't a bowfin. Ended up just a fraction over 7 lbs and 22.25" long. The biggest bass I've landed out of City Lake by a good margin and gave me a bass over 7 lbs from City Lake, Oak Hollow, and RRR.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	150681Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	150689Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3021.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	150697

A few minutes later I rolled the spinnerbait over a log and caught a 17" bass. I had a pattern but ran out of cover because it got too shallow for my boat soon after. I hooked another fish working back up the shady side of the creek but it wrapped me in the tree and got off. After I ran out of creek it was a struggle. Got some hits on a C-rig speed craw but they were white perch. Worked up the E. Fork side and got a dink on a power worm and another on a floating worm. I had time for one more stop and on literally the last cast before I had to leave for the ramp pulled another nice fish out of a tree with the spinnerbait. This fish was 4-7 and actually fought better than the 7.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3060.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	150705Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3051.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	150713

I really figured a plastic would get all the bites but there was a definite pattern with the spinnerbait. The action wasn't fast and furious but it was certainly memorable probably my best day ever at City Lake.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

DANG IT MAN!!!! That's the best looking bag I've seen come out of that lake! AWESOME REPORT!!!

Hey moderators howsabout a post award for this guy?
    jerry condrey likes this.

Nice job!!!!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Red X Angler
    There is always a way

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bwguffey View Post
    DANG IT MAN!!!! That's the best looking bag I've seen come out of that lake! AWESOME REPORT!!!

Hey moderators howsabout a post award for this guy?
    Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the report, it was nice to have something worth sharing.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Stay off my lake, Kentucky fan!
    Just kidding Andrew, good job!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Give him the award....Anybody that can catch fish on a stinking spinner bait in high summer deserves it..
    Bleedingblue, and JBassAssassin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    Stay off my lake, Kentucky fan!
    Just kidding Andrew, good job!
    Thanks Jerry. I guess we missed each other by a couple hours, I always look for you when I'm out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    Give him the award....Anybody that can catch fish on a stinking spinner bait in high summer deserves it..
    This literally made me LOL. I guess ignoring common sense pays off every so often.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

I dunno, Drew. I 've bucking the odds all my life and look where it's gotten me..lol
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Blog Entries

This thread just came to my attention. Sorry I missed it before. Definitely worthy of a Post Award! Folks I don't see all the threads these days so if you see a potential award winner please PM me, otherwise I may miss it! Thanks!
    bwguffey, and jerry condrey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCangler View Post
    This thread just came to my attention. Sorry I missed it before. Definitely worthy of a Post Award! Folks I don't see all the threads these days so if you see a potential award winner please PM me, otherwise I may miss it! Thanks!
    Thank you for the Post Award.
    bwguffey likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

You deserved it my friend.
    Bleedingblue, and bwguffey like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Well done, and congratulations on the Blog Award

Darrell
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Red X Angler

I have no idea why but in my experience four pounders fight the best for fish nine and under. Ten plus fish fight like you snagged two fours foul hooked in the back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not sure why that is.

I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

Quote Originally Posted by Nat's Dad View Post
    I have no idea why but in my experience four pounders fight the best for fish nine and under. Ten plus fish fight like you snagged two fours foul hooked in the back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not sure why that is.
    Agreed. Was just having this conversation with a fishing buddy. The few 4# I've caught in the last week have been way more fun than the 6+ I have caught recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainly, because they are younger fish, I think...
    Bleedingblue likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast