New River July 14-16: Giant Summertime Smallie

Thread: New River July 14-16: Giant Summertime Smallie

Default New River July 14-16: Giant Summertime Smallie

Got the opportunity to go and visit my best friend in WV and fish the New River which I hadnt been on for over a year. We fished for three days from about 1:00 PM till dark. We dodged a few storms Friday evening but overall the weather was great. The river was the typical summer low flow but it had a bit of color which was good. Sometimes you get into big numbers in the summer but we tried to concentrate on finding better quality than catching a bunch of little guys. We still got decent numbers, probably 25-40 per afternoon and we caught some fine quality fish.

Friday:
    Overall the fish were pretty active and we caught them on a bunch of different lures. Grubs, small jerkbaits, flukes, senkos, and Whopper Ploppers all produced bites but the best bites came on tubes. I hooked and lost a fish that was probably over 18 and we caught several fish in the 15-17 range, mostly on tubes. There was a chance of storms all afternoon and we had a couple pass close by. One was looking particularly ominous so we headed to the bank to let it blow over. We ended up with just a little rain and wind, but while we were sitting there I decided to keep fishing. We were in a big eddie and I was just fan casting. I made probably my 3rd or 4th cast with the tube, lifted it up, felt weight, and set the hook. I knew it was a big fish when I felt the head shakes and then it started running drag. I was about knee deep in the river and had to run downstream a bit to avoid entangling in a log. I finally got her to shore and the fish measured 21 & 1/8. Healthy but not fat so we estimated it at 4.5-5 lbs. It had been several years since I tangled with a smallie over 20 and coming in July was a special treat because you dont see too many of the big girls in the summer (unless at night or the water is up). I think this was the 2nd longest smallie I have caught from the New. This also marked the 3rd consecutive trip in a row that I caught a big fish with a 7 and a 6-6 LMB from HPCL and RRR before this trip. Whatever I did right I hope I keep doing it!

Click image for larger version.

Name:	21.125-5.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	152545Click image for larger version.

Name:	21.125-1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	152553Click image for larger version.

Name:	12.125-2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	152561Click image for larger version.

Name:	21.125-4.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	152569
    (Yes, I took a lot of photos but I made sure the fish stayed in the water between shots. She swam away just fine)

Saturday:
    Saturday was probably the toughest day. We still caught some fish on flukes and the Whopper Plopper but tubes ruled the day. No big fish were caught but we still caught some nice ones. I also got my karma backlash when we hit a rock and I stepped on my rod breaking it and smashing the handle of the reel in the process. This was, ironically, the combo I bought to replace the one that I lost overboard back in April at RRR. The fish below wasnt particularly large (15-16) but wonderfully marked and definitely photo worthy.

Name:	15-Colors.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	152577

Sunday:
    Sunday was a really good day particularly one hole where we caught multiple fish over 15 but nothing over 17. Tubes were the only thing we got a consistent bite on and they wouldnt touch the Whopper Plopper or any other topwater we tried. Sunday was multi-species day for my friend. He caught a 10+ lb carp and a nice channel cat both on the tube. Yes, the carp ate the tube jig and I can testify it was in it's mouth because I unhooked it. Below a couple photos of a the better quality fish but we had more we could have taken. We are pretty lousy about remembering to take photos.

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	152585Click image for larger version.

Name:	15-16.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	152593

Besides the fishing there is always wildlife to be seen. We saw both bald and golden eagles this trip. The scenery of the gorge is always amazing and we got a few good photos of that as well. It was a great trip and would have been even if I hadnt caught a big fish but Im certainly thankful I did. Thanks for reading.

Name:	IMG_3123.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	152601Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3124.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	152609Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_3125.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	152617

Tight lines,
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great trip, beautiful smallies.

Darrell
    Bleedingblue, and Daze823 like this.

Red X Angler

Looks like a fun trip!

Sent from wherever I was at the time...
    Bleedingblue likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

****! That's a big smallie! Way to go Drew!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Matt (Red X Angler)~ 2013 Hewes Redfisher 18, 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke, Ice Blue

Wow!! That's awesome. Great trip
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Red X Angler
    There is always a way

Love the gorge...nice smallies!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Blog Entries

It's the hat, definitely. Go Big Blue!

Great report, and congrats.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

holy smokes!! what a trip... **thumbs up**
    Bleedingblue likes this.

The only problem I see with this trip report is the fact that I wasn't there. Congratulation on what looked to be a great time and some stud river smallies.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Bleedingblue likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements