Tough Day Sat, Payoff Sunday

Thread: Tough Day Sat, Payoff Sunday

Default Tough Day Sat, Payoff Sunday

Headed to the Pungo on Sat to fish with my uncle aka "Reel Papa". Headed out and were met with less than desirable conditions with a stiff sw wind. Pull up to spot one and the trolling motor decides not to work. We driftfish casting the banks and catch a handful of flounder and a few short stripers. It got really hot fast and the bite seemed to be really off. We were fishing the upper Pungo and the water had a cheerwine reddish tint to it. Last year around this time, it got really hot and there was a lot of "dead water" in this area. I suspect this might be happening again. So we call it around 11:30 and make a run for the a/c.

On Sunday, I hooked up to my boat and got Reel Papa to meet me on the Pamlico. We launched around 5:30 and the wind was howling. At least 10-15kn sw and probably gusting to 20kn on the main river and we get soaked on the way to the first spot. I had planned on an area that would be slightly sheltered from a sw wind and when I get there the wind is almost s/ sse and pounding the shoreline we want to fish. With not many options with the rough conditions we work the bank and put the power pole to the test. It did not disappoint. My uncle gets hung up behind the boat while we are poled down, so he decides to leave the line out there and grab another rod to cast in front of the boat. We work that area over catching a lot of short flounder and head to pick up his snagged jig, when about 1/2 way to it, it actually comes loose and a fish is on it. A small red comes in the boat. We continue to work the bank, sticking and drifting, catching a lot of flounder and some short reds. My uncle gets snagged again and puts the rod in the holder and grabs another rod to cast out front. We continue to fish and tell stories for 5 minutes or so, when all of a sudden I see his rod double over and its game on. After a nice fight, I net a nice 21" redfish, that actually unsnagged his lure and hooked himself, pretty cool. We catch flounder off and on all morning with 3 keepers to bring home. Around 12:30 we call it and head for the ramp. A nice side chop the whole way back completely soaks the left side of my clothes, but it felt really good. Can't wait to do it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20170723_092844.jpg‎
Views:	228
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	153225 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20170723_132125.jpg‎
Views:	237
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	153233

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great report. I love it when fish help you get untangled.

Darrell
    Neptune likes this.

Red X Angler

Nice report pal , weekend warriors have to be tough !!! Been there , done it for many years . When you going to try for the big drum ?
    basswrangler, and Neptune like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great report, Chad!!

Great report my friend!!! Glad to see you and Reel Papa got on them.
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Pelt View Post
    Nice report pal , weekend warriors have to be tough !!! Been there , done it for many years . When you going to try for the big drum ?
    Work all week and fish all weekend. Its a good life. I just plan for it to always be windy when I go fishing, so that way I'm never disappointed, but that's why they make power poles. I might try for the big drum this weekend, I heard there were a few caught last week and I have a seen a big push of bait inshore over the past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelPrime View Post
    Work all week and fish all weekend. Its a good life. I just plan for it to always be windy when I go fishing, so that way I'm never disappointed, but that's why they make power poles. I might try for the big drum this weekend, I heard there were a few caught last week and I have a seen a big push of bait inshore over the past weekend.
    Let me know how you do, RP - we need to coordinate a trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Great report my friend!!! Glad to see you and Reel Papa got on them.
    I hurt, I ache. ReelPrime put me to the test. Drenched from ride out. Waves breaking over transom while Power Pole held us tight. Gotta get one. When we located fish, it was game on, almost every cast was a bite. I was laughing and giddy as a silly school kid. ReelPrime didn't mention that he caught only ONE of the keepers. I did some R&D with my baits. Caught majority of fish with Keitech Crazy Flapper, Green Pumpkin on 3/16 oz jighead. Already had Riptide 101 repaired. Original board lasted 10 years. Had board replaced 94 days ago. Already bad. 90 day warranty. Will try to be on Pungo this weekend. Thanks to a great nephew for helping a dinosaur.
    basswrangler, Greenmonster, and Neptune like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Papa View Post
    I hurt, I ache. ReelPrime put me to the test. Drenched from ride out. Waves breaking over transom while Power Pole held us tight. Gotta get one. When we located fish, it was game on, almost every cast was a bite. I was laughing and giddy as a silly school kid. ReelPrime didn't mention that he caught only ONE of the keepers. I did some R&D with my baits. Caught majority of fish with Keitech Crazy Flapper, Green Pumpkin on 3/16 oz jighead. Already had Riptide 101 repaired. Original board lasted 10 years. Had board replaced 94 days ago. Already bad. 90 day warranty. Will try to be on Pungo this weekend. Thanks to a great nephew for helping a dinosaur.
    Chad is a great guy and tons of fun to fish with!! We need to plan a trip together real soon with Chad!
    Red X Angler

Congrats on the post award!

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements