Pamlico Drumming 9/16 & 9/17

Thread: Pamlico Drumming 9/16 & 9/17

Default Pamlico Drumming 9/16 & 9/17

Went out yesterday morning with the better half in search of some big drum. Promised her I was going to put her on her first one this year and I had been failing miserably. Hit the ramp at 6:30 and started making our way to where I had some success before. ReelPrime was right behind us with a crew on his boat. We were greeted with calm seas but thick fog. Carefully following previous tracks on my gps, we get to our destination. Start making our drift with the gentle NE wind pushing us along. About 20 minutes go by and I hear "BABE!" followed by a Conflict 4000 screaming. I look back and the rod in her hand is doubled over and she's doing all she can to hold on to it. I go into coach mode yelling "Keep him tight!" and "Don't let that line go slack!". About 3 minutes in and she's already telling me to take the rod, her arm is burning. But I didn't give her any relief. Finally we get the beast boatside and I slide it into the net. Quick measurement and photo shoot and send her on her way. A very healthy 44" female. I get a call from ReelPrime about 100 yards behind us to congratulate her on her catch. I'm casting with him on speaker talking to us and I'm not paying attention and on the second cast after releasing her fish my rod almost gets yanked out of my hand. I yell "Chad, gotta go!". Fish immediately runs straight under the boat and just chills there. I fight the fish boatside for a few minutes and wrestle it into the net. Nice 42" male. Lucky for me my girl caught the whole fight, minus the first 10 seconds or so, on video.

https://youtu.be/52DpHK-WuQ8

We drift a little while longer with no bites so we idle around the "hot spot" and start the drift again. No luck on the 2nd drift so we decide to call it early to go fill out citation paperwork at Neuse River Bait & Tackle. Get home with plenty of time to get cleaned up and get back to Chocowinity to see ReelPrime lose all his freedom. AKA, his wedding. Absolutely wonderful ceremony right on the waterfront. Good times. Wish you and Jen nothing but the best.

OK, this is a fishing website, enough of the sappy stuff. Hit the water again this morning with my buddy and his wife hoping to duplicate the success of yesterday's trip. 10 minutes into the drift and I get a massive boil and my cork shoots under. This fish did the same thing mine did yesterday and shot under the boat and tried to stay there. About 3 minutes later, the 45" female had a quick photo shoot and we sent her on her way. By the time we get her back in the water we notice 2 boats coming in hot. We gave it a couple of hours but I think the boat traffic just shut em down.

All in all, another beautiful weekend on the Pamlico. Now back to this boring work thing for the next 5 days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20170916_075201.jpg‎
Views:	239
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	160265 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20170916_080035.jpg‎
Views:	229
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	160273 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20170917_0738401.jpg‎
Views:	231
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	160281

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great report and pics john , wish i was there but having a ball with my family in myrtle beach
    dbeam, j.edwards, and Neptune like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

WOW you guys are having a great season. Congratulations to the happy lady!

Darrell
    j.edwards likes this.

Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great report Jon and congrats to the better half on her first drum!! You know you are a true fishermen when you go fishing on your wedding day!! Wishing ReelPrime and Ms. ReelPrime all the best and Congratulations!
    j.edwards likes this.

Red X Angler

Congratulations on the catch. I have NEVER caught a big drum and I have posted that RP has promised. Was at the wedding. I sat with the Wood group. Wish that we could have been introduced. I have yet to have an unsuccessful fishing, wedding day combo.
    j.edwards likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Papa View Post
    Congratulations on the catch. I have NEVER caught a big drum and I have posted that RP has promised. Was at the wedding. I sat with the Wood group. Wish that we could have been introduced. I have yet to have an unsuccessful fishing, wedding day combo.
    I was sitting with his business partner and other fishing buds. I'm sure we'll meet on the water soon.

Quote Originally Posted by j.edwards View Post
    I was sitting with his business partner and other fishing buds. I'm sure we'll meet on the water soon.
    Well, there you go. I thought I was his fishing buddy too.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Congratulations on the Blog Award. Well Deserved

Darrell
    j.edwards likes this.

Red X Angler

Great report and way to go on the fishing! Congrats on the award too.
    j.edwards likes this.

Heck of a fish. Or fishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    j.edwards likes this.

J.Edwards . . . marry that girl before one of the guys on this forum does! A girl who loves to fish and can land a fish like that??? Reminds me of my wife!

All teasing aside, great report, and long enough to qualify for greenmonster status! Let's get you down here again and find some fish!
    j.edwards likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements